CAMPUS & PROPERTIES
John Carroll University is a private, co-educational, comprehensive institution. Founded in 1886 as St. Ignatius College and located on Cleveland's West Side, the school changed its name to John Carroll University in 1923 and moved to its present campus location in 1935. John Carroll University is one of twenty-eight Jesuit schools in the United States and inspires individuals to excel in learning, leadership, and service in the region and in the world.
The University's 60-acre campus is situated in suburban University Heights, east of Cleveland, Ohio. More than twenty major buildings, predominantly Gothic in architecture, and sixty beautifully landscaped acres make up the Carroll campus. The University has over 1,540,000 gross square feet of building space. Thorn Acres, a thirty-eight acre property in nearby Chardon, provides additional recreational and educational facilities. Major buildings include the Grasselli Library and its John G. and Mary Jane Breen Learning Center, the Thomas P. O'Malley Center for Communications and Language Arts, and the D.J. Lombardo Student Center. This center includes the Little Theatre, the Harold C. Schott Dining Hall, the Inn Between, the Underground, recreational facilities, public conference rooms, and offices for student organizations; it is also the location of the Fritzsche Religious Center containing the campus ministry offices and the Saint Francis Chapel. The Don Shula Sports Center includes the William H. Johnson Natatorium and the Ralph Vince Fitness Center.
Other important facilities are the Administration Building, the Boler School of Business, Rodman Hall, Kulas Auditorium, and Wasmer and Schweickert fields for outdoor athletic events. There are eight student residence halls.
Two major additions to the campus opened in September 2003. The Dolan Center for Science and Technology is a state-of-the-art teaching and research facility. Taking over the functions of the James A. Bohannon Science Center, the Dolan Center houses the Departments of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Computer Science, Physics, and Psychology, as well as the Center for Mathematics and Science Education, Teaching, and Technology. This beautiful Georgian-style building also contains many spaces intended for use by the entire university community, including study areas, conference rooms, an atrium, and a 250-seat auditorium. The Don Shula Stadium is the new home of the Blue Streak football, soccer, and track teams. The stadium also has offices for coaches, a weight training facility, locker rooms, athletic training room, and the Don Shula Memorabilia Room, featuring photographs and artifacts donated by the family of its namesake.
A campus wide computer network facilitates access to the Internet and World Wide Web as well as providing a vehicle for internal communication via e-mail.