Home      About JCU     Search      Directories      Calendar 


Contact us
Nominations and Elections

Forum Home Page

  Faculty Forum Announcements

April 19, 2006

  1. I want to thank the Forum (and its present and former officers) for entrusting its leadership role to me over the past six years.

  2. Fr. Niehoff has approved the Master of Arts program in Non-Profit Administration, which was recently passed by the Forum.

  3. Please forward to me (or Paul Lauritzen, Mindy Peden, Miles Coburn) any suggestions or thoughts regarding governance or strategic planning issues that you would like us to represent at the University Planning Retreat in June.

  4. Final discussion of the proposed changes to faculty governance will take place at the April 19th Faculty Forum Meeting. The Faculty Forum Executive Committee would like these proposed changes to the faculty governance model voted on before the end of spring semester.

March 15, 2006

  1. The Faculty Forum Executive Committee voted not to conduct an election on the web management committee until they are consulted on the issue of faculty representation to this committee. Ernie DeZolt will draft a letter to David LaGuardia asking for clarification.

  2. Ed Peck, Chair of the University Budget Committee, came to the Faculty Forum Executive Committee meeting to ask for suggestions for faculty input with long term budget decisions.

  3. Joel Mullner, Student Union, is still in need of a faculty representative to the Homecoming Committee.

  4. The officers of the Faculty Forum Executive Committee have been invited by Fr. Niehoff to the University Planning Retreat this June. Miles Coburn has also been invited.

  5. Miles Coburn, Chair of the Rank, Tenure, and Salary Committee, has salary date that will soon be posted on the Forum web page (with limited access). 

February 15, 2006

  1. The extended Faculty Forum meeting schedule is posted on the Forum web page for your review.  Please note that the March 15th and April 19th dates have been established for Forum Meetings w/ March 1st and April 5th as additional meeting times.

  2. The March 1st meeting time will be used as a Forum Meeting to catalog concerns, points 
    of clarification, etc. from the February 14, 2006 Town Hall meeting on academics.
  3. The Faculty Forum Executive Committee will draft a letter to Fr. Bob Niehoff asking that 
    members of the Faculty Forum Executive Committee be extended an invitation to the Planning 
    Group retreat this June. Currently, there are no faculty members from the Forum invited 
    to attend this meeting.
  4. Joel Mullner of the Student Union Programming Board is asking for a faculty representative 
    to the University Homecoming Committee. He would like a faculty representative in place by 
    March 3rd, 2006.

November 17, 2005

  1. The forum will meet on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month in Spring 2006. Two meeting times are selected in anticipation of additional discussion on the FGA proposal.
    Other University, administrative, and board meetings will be established by the respective offices in charge of such decisions.

  2. Good input was obtained with the small group discussions on the FGA proposal. A total of 
    ten individuals offered extensive commentary. This commentary will be added into the 
    existing draft proposal.

October 19, 2005

Preliminary (small group) discussions of the proposed faculty governance assembly model will take place the week of October 24th. A total of eight discussions (morning and afternoon)will take place Monday through Thursday. Details to follow in an FSA message.

September 15, 2005

  1. Beginning in spring 2006, Faculty Forum meetings will be scheduled during the University's "open" times.  These open times are on Wednesday afternoons.  Posting of actual dates and times to be announced.

  2. Openings still remain on some committees.  Please see Karen Gygli for a listing of openings and your interest in having your name placed in nomination.

  3. Before the October Forum meeting, a draft set of ideas reflecting proposed changes to the faculty governance model will be posted for your review.



April 20, 2005

  1. The slate of nominations for faculty committees is posted on the forum web page.  (Click on "Nominations and Elections.")  Additional nominations will be taken from the floor at the April 20th meeting.

  2. Please extend your thanks to Yemi Akande for her service as forum secretary. She has served the forum well. Likewise, welcome Mindy Peden in her new role as forum secretary.

  3. The Faculty Forum (through the Forum Executive Committee) looks forward to working with Fr. Robert Niehoff in strengthening the role of faculty governance at JCU.

  4. The Forum Executive Committee is deciding how best to assign (or vote in) faculty representatives to Board of Directors meetings. 

  5. The following issues are still in committee:

    • Summer School recommendations (from both CAP & the committee to study summer school)

    • Review of additional options for health care benefits (Finance Committee)

    • Consideration of a University Tenure and Promotion Committee (Rank, Tenure, Salary).

    • Review of Forum Ad Hoc Committees (Faculty Forum Executive Committee).


March 16, 2005

  1. Dave Garratt, from the Mercer Group, will update the Forum on health care benefits.

  2. Summary reports from committee chairs regarding remaining assigned committee work will be updated by the April Forum Meeting.

  3. A Re-Examination of Ad Hoc Committee effectiveness.

  4. Given that the Presidential and Vice-Presidential Addresses have been moved to Special Meetings, a specific meeting time needs to be scheduled in time for the yearly calendar.

  5. The AVP, Forum Chair and Parliamentarian, and Kathy DiFranco have been meeting to develop a common time to host meetings beyond the departmental level.

February, 2005

  1. The Vivaldi partners will be on campus on February 24th to review findings. Tim Shannon is to host a campus-wide meeting for this purpose. Details are forthcoming from Tim Shannon.

  2. Ad Hoc faculty representatives to the Faculty Forum on JCCI transparency issues to present their recommendations at the March Forum meeting.

  3. Ad Hoc faculty representatives to the Faculty Forum Executive Committee on electronic voting procedures to present their recommendations at the March forum meeting.

  4. David LaGuardia and Ernest DeZolt are working to develop a common meeting time for forum, administrative, and special meetings. Experimentation with these common meeting times will occur from Spring 2006 through Spring 2007. Details are forthcoming.

  5. Forum Meeting dates for the 2005-2006 academic year are as follows: 9/15, 10/19, 11/17, 2/16, 3/15, and 4/5. All meetings (with the exception of the March meeting) will be held in the Dolan Auditorium. The March meeting will be held in the LSC Conference room. Times for these meetings are consistent with routine Wednesday and Thursday meeting times (with the exception of the November and April meetings which begin at 12 noon.)

  6. A Special Meeting of the Faculty is likely to be scheduled in March for the purpose of an update by Dave Garret of Mercer on health care benefits. Details to follow.

November 18, 2004

The University Planning Group will host Mayor Beryl Rothschild and other guests from the Mayor’s Office and/or City Council, for the purpose of presenting to them the Strategic Plan of the University.  See attached memo.

October 20, 2004

  1. Two dates have been tentatively selected for a Special Meeting of the Faculty wherein Frs. Ed Glynn and Tim Shannon
    will address the faculty and JCU community. Topic(s) to be determined. The projected dates are October 26th and November
    2nd. Final date selection is forthcoming.

  2. Faculty representatives of the University Budget Committee will address the Forum at the upcoming meeting.

  3. Jon Ivec is scheduled to address a Special Meeting of the Faculty regarding his Annual University Fiscal Report. Final date selection is forthcoming.

  4. I want to thank those faculty who participated in the reception for new administrators on October 4th. A special thanks goes to Paul Lauritzen for coordinating the event.

  5. The UPG, and David LaGuardia has agreed to send out agenda prior to UPG meetings to get faculty input. Below is the agenda for October 22, 2004:

  • UPG Liaison Committee to University Heights

  • Strategies of Approach (a) report of Visiting Team of the HLC/NCA and (b) Conclusions and Recommendations of JCU

  • Final Challenges and Strategies

September 16, 2004 

  1. A reception for new faculty members will be held at the conclusion of September’s abbreviated Faculty Forum Meeting (from 4:30-5:50 PM).
  1. The Faculty Reception for New Administrators will be held on October 4, 2004 in the Dolan Reading Room from 5:00-6:30PM.  This reception is open to the JCU Community.
  1. There will be a Special Meeting of the Faculty on September 23, 2004 from 3:30-5:00PM in the Dolan Auditorium. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss the development of clinical, long-term, non-tenure track faculty positions to meet the needs of the School of Business and the Department of Education.
  1. Additional upcoming Special Meetings of the Faculty include the University’s Finance Report (from John Ivec) and Fr. Glynn’s Address to the faculty.
  1. Please review the Forum’s Vision Plan for the academic year 2004-2005.


April 21, 2004

  1. A light lunch will be provided. Special thanks to Roland Madison and Ken Eslinger for their respective personal and
    departmental financial contributions to the lunch.

  2. Yemi Akande was elected for a one-year replacement as Forum secretary, and Paul Lauritzen elected to a three-year
    term as Forum Vice Chair.

  3. A special thanks to Roland Madison for his two-year service as Forum secretary, and to Dick Horwath for his three-
    year service as Forum Vice Chair.

  4. Two Ad Hoc committees will be formed: (1) a committee to study the proposal for a web-based data driven voting system
    for the Forum; and (2) a committee to study the duplication of committee structure at JCU.


March 31, 2004:

  1. At the March meeting—Sarah Wagner, Student Union President, and Janet Kramer will answer questions regarding student initiatives that concern faculty (i.e. Conexsus Enterprises and University smoking ban).

  2. Upcoming Forum topics of discussion include: web-based data-driven voting system and a Forum study on summer school.

  3. April 21st meeting of Forum is from 12:00 – 1:45 pm.


February 19, 2004:

Suggested Changes for the Faculty Forum

  1. Reduce announcements.  (Have them on a hand-out provided to all members.  Post them on the web.)

  1. Reschedule the AVP and Presidential addresses as independent meetings of the Faculty Forum.

  1. Get more business onto the floor.

  1. Hold open hearing on the floor.

  1. Ask the AVP to ask the Chairs to coordinate meeting times.

  1. Have business scheduled far in advance.  Make sure we have plenty to discuss.


John Carroll University —  20700 North Park Blvd — University Heights, OH 44118 — Tel: 216.397.1886  — Admission: 216.397.4294
Copyright      Contact JCU     Maps To Campus   Forum Webmaster