Rank, Tenure and Salary Committee Report
The Committee has met once this semester and has begun to
address the following issues.
- A request from the Library Faculty that changes be
made in our tenure procedures to allow the Director of the Library to
serve on Tenure Committees for library faculty. The sticking point is that
our procedures require a member of a tenure committee to be on faculty
contract, but the Director is on an administrative contract. The RTS
Committee will recommend that simple changes in our procedures be made to
grant the request.
- Issues around childbirth/adoption/health care
concerns for faculty.
- Pregnancy Leave: We hope to formulate a proposal
for a policy that would put rights to these leaves in writing.
- Leaves to care for family members: We hope to write
a proposal for a policy to delineate faculty rights in this area.
- Support for childrearing by faculty members: We
hope to write a proposal for a policy to delineate faculty rights in this
- Extending the Tenure Probationary Period: We hope
to write a proposal for a policy to delineate faculty rights in this
We will meet
again this week to continue work on these proposals. The hope is that we will
have something to propose by the October Meeting of the Faculty Forum.
- Should there be a University Tenure Committee? We are beginning talks concerning what
we should attempt in this area.
Dwight M. Olson, Committee Chair