iCloud can be used to store backup copies of Pages, Keynote, Numbers and GoodReader files stored on the iPad. iCloud is a free service provided by Apple Corporation.
Setting Up an iCloud Account
1. You need an iTunes account if you want to use iCloud. If you already have an account, skip to step 4. If you do not have an account, first download iTunes to your computer: http://www.apple.com/itunes/
2. Start iTunes on your computer. If your copy of iTunes opens in library view as illusrated below, click on iTunes Store.
3. Click on Sign In. A dialog box will now appear. Click on the Create Apple ID button. Then follow the instructions and fill out the requested information on the following screens. You will need a credit card number to create the iTunes account, but the account is free.
4. Open the Settings app on your iPad. In the left pane, select iCloud (as illustrated below). Enter your Apple ID and Password in the slots provided and then touch the Sign In button.
5. After sign-in, your screen should appear similar to the one illustrated below. In the right pane, check to confirm that Documents & Data is on. If it is Off, turn it ON (please note that you may not be able to turn on Documents & Data until you open an email sent to you from Apple for the purpose of confirming your iCloud account). Also, it is recommended that you have Find My iPad turned on. If your iPad is lost, then you can use iCloud on a computer or other iOS device to find the location of the iPad. You will find instructions for using Find My iPad on this web page.
6. Still in Settings, select Pages (or Keynote or Numbers) under Apps in the left pane and make sure Use iCloud in the right pane is set to ON
Syncing Pages, Keynote and Numbers Files with iCloud
After you have set up your iCloud account as described above, your Pages, Keynote and Numbers files will automatically be synced (copied) to iCloud. Each time you edit your files on iPad, the edits will also be synced with iCloud. If your iPad is not connected to a wireless service at the time when you create or edit a file, then the file will be synced the next time you connect to a wireless service. If a file has not been synced, the upper-right corner of its icon will have an up arrow as illustrated below.
Syncing GoodReader Files with iCloud
1. Touch the Settings button
2. Select General Settings
3. If Use iCloud is not ON, then turn it on.
4. Only files stored in the iCloud folder will be synced with iCloud. Use the Manage Files utility to copy or move files to the iCloud folder.
Accessing your stored files in iCloud with a computer
1. Enter the following URL into your web browser: http://www.icloud.com . After the page loads, click the Sign In button.
2. Set the time zone to Eastern Time (if that is your time zone) and click the Done button.
3. Click on the iWork icon
4. Select the tab for the type of document you wish to access (Keynote, Pages or Numbers). (please note that GoodReader files stored on iCloud are not available through this interface - GoodReader documents are only available to computers running Apple OS X Lion and will be found in the Mobile Documents folder, inside the Library folder - the Library folder is hidden, so to find it, do this: press Command + Shift + G on the keyboard and in the dialog that opens, enter ~/Library/ )
5. Click on the file you wish to download (a download button should appear).
6. Place the mouse cursor over the Download button and select the format for the file (PDF in the illustrated example below).
7. Then click on the blue Download button
8. A dialog box will open providing you with a Save option.