Breen Learning Center
These electronic databases, selected from the library's collection of databases, could be especially useful in studying and researching topics in Art History. They range over general and specific areas.
- Academic Search Premier (1984-present; selected full text 1965-present)
Abstracts and indexes almost 4,500 journals. Contains full text for nearly 3,500 scholarly publications. A multi-disciplinary database covering nearly every area of academic study.
- Art Abstracts (1929-present)
Abstracts and indexes leading international art publications, including periodicals, yearbooks, and museum bulletins. Includes the topics of art, art history, archaeology, crafts, folk art, graphic arts, video, and film.
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index (1980-present)
Indexes over one thousand of the leading journals in arts and humanities. Also indicates how works are cited.
- BHA (Bibliography of the History of Art, 1973-present)
Covers European and American art from late antiquity to the present. Indexes articles and art-related books. Includes RAA (Repertoire d'Arte et d'Archeologie), 1973-1989, and RILA (International Repertory of the Literature of Art), 1975-1989.
- Digital Media Center (OhioLINK)
Contains art and architecture images.
- EBSCOhost EJS (Electronic Journals Service--JCU Edition)
Accesses thousands of e-journals containing millions of articles. A collection of electronic journals. Some relevance to Art History.
- FRANCIS (1984-present)
Covers a wide range of multilingual, multidisciplinary information in the humanities and social sciences. Indexes and abstracts items in journals, books, and other materials.
- Index to 19th-Century American Art Periodicals
Indexes art periodicals that were published in the United States during the 19th century.
- Iter (Middle Ages and Renaissance)
Cites journal articles and reviews pertaining to the Middle Ages and Renaissance (400 to 1700).
- JSTOR (Journal Storage: The Scholarly Journal Archive)
Provides electronic access to full texts of core journals in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences. A collection of electronic journals. Some relevance to Art History.
- OCLC Union List of Periodicals
Contains holdings for journals among OCLC-member libraries.
- RLIN Bibliographic Database
Includes records (as a major union catalog) for any type of material cataloged by RLG-member libraries: books, periodicals, videos, etc.
Describes art-auction and rare-book catalogs for sales from the late 16th century to the present.
Includes records (as a major union catalog) for any type of material cataloged by OCLC-member libraries: books, periodicals, videos, etc.
The following are links to some important sites on the Internet dealing with Art History. As do many sites on the WWW, they will lead to other useful sites that can be bookmarked.
The following reference books and traditional print bibliographies may be found in the Reference Area of the library. They could be useful in studying and researching topics in Art History.Reference BooksPrint BibliographiesThe following traditional print periodicals may be found in the Periodicals Area of the library. They are related to the study of Art History.
- ART INDEX (REF AAZ 5937 .A78)
- BHA: BIBLIOGRAPHY OF THE HISTORY OF ART (REF AAZ 5937 .B53)
- FINE ARTS: A BIBLIOGRAPHIC GUIDE TO BASIC REFERENCE WORKS, HISTORIES, AND HANDBOOKS (REF AAZ 5931 .E47 1990)
- GUIDE TO THE LITERATURE OF ART HISTORY (REF AAZ 5931 .A67)
- GUIDE TO REFERENCE BOOKS (REF AAZ 1035.1 G89 1996)
- HUMANITIES INDEX (REF AI 3 .I54)
- INDEX OF THE BULLETIN OF THE CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART (REF AAZ 5931 .I54)
- INDEX TO BOOK REVIEWS IN THE HUMANITIES (REF AAZ 1035 .A1 I63)
- READERS' GUIDE (REF AI 3 .R4)
- RILA: INTERNATIONAL REPERTORY OF THE LITERATURE OF ART (REF AAZ 5937 .R16)Periodicals
- AMERICAN ART JOURNAL (PER N 6505 .A618)
- ART BOOK: ISSUES, NEWS, AND REVIEWS (PER N 7479 .A76)
- ART BULLETIN (PER N 11 .C4)
- ARTFORUM INTERNATIONAL (PER N 1 .A814)
- ART HISTORY (PER N 7480 .A77)
- ART IN AMERICA (PER N 1 .A43)
- BULLETIN OF THE DETROIT INSTITUTE OF ARTS (PER N 560 .A42)
- BURLINGTON MAGAZINE (PER N 1 .B95)
- GAZETTE DES BEAUX-ARTS (PER N 2 .G3)
- JOURNAL OF AESTHETICS AND ART CRITICISM (PER N 1 .J6)
- WOMAN'S ART JOURNAL (PER N 72 .F45 W64)
The "Art History Resources Page" is maintained by Charles Zarobila, Library Liaison for the Department of Art History at John Carroll University. The page is composed reflecting the needs of the Department of Art History. Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The picture at the top of this page is the "The Virgin and Child with St. Anne" (c. 1510). This oil-on-wood panel was painted by Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519). It is presently in the Musée du Louvre. Used with permission.