Breen Learning Center
These electronic databases, selected from the library's collection of databases, could be useful in studying and researching topics in Philosophy.
- Academic Search Premier
Academic Search Premier is the world’s largest scholarly, multi-discipline, full text database designed specifically for academic institutions. This resource indexes over 4300 periodicals and contains full text for over 3400 scholarly publications. Academic Search Premier includes full-page images as well as color embedded images. This scholarly collection provides full text journal coverage for nearly all academic areas of study - including social sciences, humanities,education, computer sciences, engineering, language and linguistics, arts & literature, medical sciences, and ethnic studies.
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index
A component of the Institute for Scientific Information's Web of Science, the Arts & Humanities Citation Index is a multidisciplinary database covering the journal literature of the arts and humanities. It indexes 1,144 of the world's leading arts and humanities journals, as well as covering individually selected, relevant items from over 6,800 major science and social science journals. Select Full Search or Simple Search to see the option for the Arts & Humanities Citation Index.
- Bioethics Line (1973-Present)
This database covers the ethical, legal and public policy issues surrounding health care and biomedical research. Topics include euthanasia and other end-of-life issues, organ donation and transplantation, allocation of health care resources, patients' rights, professional ethics, the new reproductive technologies, genetic intervention, abortion, behavior control and other mental health issues, AIDS, human experimentation, and animal experimentation. Citations are derived from the literature of law, religion, the social sciences, philosophy, and the popular media as well as the health sciences.
- Essay & General Literature Index (1983-)
This familiar index cites essays and articles from anthologies and collections. It focuses on the humanities and social sciences, with subject coverage ranging from economics, political science, and history to criticism of literary works, drama, and film.
FRANCIS covers a wide range of multilingual, multidisciplinary information in the humanities (67%), social sciences (30%), and economics (3%). FRANCIS is strong in religion, the history of art, and literature, with particular emphasis on current trends in European and world literature. Updated monthly, FRANCIS covers 1984 to the present.
- Papers First
An index of papers presented at conferences worldwide. 1993 to present.
- Philosopher's Index
This index provides indexing and abstracts from books and journals of philosophy and related fields. It covers the areas of ethics, aesthetics, social and political philosophy, epistemology, and metaphysic logic as well as material on the philosophy of education, history, language, law, religion, and science.
- Proceedings First
An index of worldwide conference proceedings, congresses, exhibitions, meetings, symposiums, and workshops. 1993 to present.
- The Ethics CD-ROM
A collection of Federal executive branch ethics laws,executive orders, regulations, advisory opinions, and program administration aids compiled by the United States Office on Government Ethics.
- The Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy
A CD-ROM version of the 10-volume Encyclopedia published in 1998 is available at the Reference Desk.
PRINT REFERENCE SOURCES
The following titles from the Library collection are excellent up-to-date sources in the field of Philosophy.
- Biographical Dictionary of Transcendentalism (Ref B905.B56)
- Biographical Dictionary of Twentieth-Century Philosophers (Ref B804.B52)
- The Blackwell companion to philosophy(RefB21 .B56)
- The Cambridge Dictionary Of Philosophy (Ref B41.C35 1999)
- A Companion to the Philosophers (Ref B72.C595)
- A Concise Dictionary of Indian Philosophy (Ref B131.G67 1996)
- The Dictionary of Eighteenth-Century British Philosophers (Ref B1301.D527)
- Dictionary of Existentialism (Ref B819.D455)
- The Edinburgh Encyclopedia of Continental Philosophy (Ref B803.E35)
- Encyclopedia of Classical Philosophy (Ref B163.E53)
- Encyclopedia of Phenomenology (Ref B829.5.E53)
- Encyclopedia of Postmodernism (RefB831.2.E63)
- Library Research Guide to Philosophy (RefB52 .L57)
- The Oxford Companion to Philosophy (Ref B51.O94)
- The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy (Ref B41.B53)
- The Routledge Critical Dictionary of Postmodern Thought (Ref B831.2.R68)
- The Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Ref B51.R68)
- World Philosophy: Essay-reviews of 225 major works (RefB29 .W68)
There are many Web sites dealing with Philosophy. The list below is a small selection of useful sites with dozens of helpful links. John Carroll's Department of Philosophy also maintains an excellent links page.Careers in PhilosophyGeneral Philosophy Guides
- About.com Philosophy Page
- Aristotle Bibliography
- Academic Info: Philosophy
- The Ethics Connection
- Ethics on the World Wide Web
- Guide to Philosophy on the Internet
- History of Philosophy
- Individual Philosophers, A-Z
- The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- NOEMA: The Collaborative Bibliography of Women in Philosophy
- Philosophy around the Web
- Philosophy in Cyberspace
- Philosophy since the Enlightenment / by Roger Jones
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Voice of the Shuttle Philosophy Page
- Worldwide Philosophy Resources
- The WWW Virtual Library: Philosophy
Philsophy Search Engines
- Alex Catalogue of Electronic Texts
- The Bertrand Russell Archives
- Episteme Links
- Exploring Plato's Dialogues
- The Hume Archives
- The Labyrinth: Resources for Medieval Studies
- Marxists.org Internet Archive
- The Oxford University Press Philosophy Reading Room
- The Perseus Project of Tufts University
- Philosophy Text Collection from The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Philosophy Texts from EServer.org (formerly, The English Server)
The "Philosophy Resources Page" is maintained by Marcy Milota, Library Liaison for the Department of Philosophy at John Carroll University. Last updated March 13, 2003.