Instructor: M. Chai
The study of the Chinese language helps develop skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Courses in Chinese explore another side of the world; uncover the splendid culture of China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan; nourish hidden wisdom from Confucianism to Daoism; and savor the art of Chinese calligraphy.
The University Core Curriculum and Foreign Language:
- Two semesters of a foreign language are a required part of the humanities and liberal arts Core curriculum at John Carroll University.
- Chinese is currently spoken by nearly one-fifth of the world’s population. Chinese speakers can be found in Mainland China, Taiwan, and Chinese communities throughout Southeast Asia, North and South America, and Europe. Since China is one of the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council, Chinese is also an official U.N. language.
- Learning Chinese opens up a unique window into one of the world’s most ancient civilizations. In studying the Chinese language, you learn about Chinese history, cultural values, philosophical and religious beliefs, and aesthetic traditions. The more proficient you become, the more you will be able to appreciate and understand China’s past and present.
101. BEGINNING CHINESE 1 3 cr. Intensive functional approach to the four language skills in a cultural context. Classroom, multi-media, computer-assisted instruction. (Fall)
102. BEGINNING CHINESE II 3 cr. Prerequisite: CN 101 or equivalent. Amplification of language skills in a cultural context. (Spring)
191-192. BEGINNING SUPERVISED STUDY 3 cr. each. Supervised independent study of Chinese at the beginning level.
199. SPECIAL TOPICS 3 cr. Occasional course on a selected topic announced in advance.
201-202. INTERMEDIATE CHINESE II 3 cr. each. Prerequisite: CN 102 or equivalent. Further development of the four language skills for communication in a cultural context; expanding of vocabulary, idiomatic usage, and grammar. CN 201 or equivalent prerequisite for CN 202. (Fall-201, Spring-202)
291-292. INTERMEDIATE SUPERVISED STUDY 1-3 cr. each. Supervised independent study of Chinese at the intermediate level.
299. SPECIAL TOPICS 3 cr. Occasional course on a selected topic announced in advance.
398. SUPERVISED STUDY 3 cr. Supervised independent study. Permission of instructor.
399. SPECIAL TOPICS 3 cr. Occasional course on a selected topic announced in advance.