Skip to main content

Background Information

The Facilities Department is home to both the Maintenance staff (technicians) and a Grounds crew, as well as the other functions performed relative to management of University properties and long-term planning.

With respect to caretakers of the property, the University follows the practice of maintaining internal crews for basic maintenance and grounds needs rather than outsourcing those services. These Facilities staff members also support as many student, faculty, and special purpose events as possible throughout the year. However, because the crews are primarily focused on the call of maintenance of the buildings and grounds, and the department runs lean on staffing, there are occasions which require outsourcing of work as a viable alternative to properly accomplish a request for service.

As noted above, the number one priority for both the Facilities Department Maintenance Technicians and the Grounds Crew is to “maintain our facilities and keep the function and appearance” of John Carroll’s campus in superior condition. Facilities crews work to fulfill both scheduled Schooldude (the University web-based work order system) work orders and internal, standard scheduled duties and preventative maintenance activities. As always, our crews and technicians prioritize work order requests. All Maintenance work orders are most efficiently placed using the Schooldude web-based work order system.

On occasion, a request for services for either the Maintenance Technicians or the Grounds Crew is outside the definition of “maintaining the facilities.” Our Foremen and Technicians typically handle simple non-maintenance requests as quickly and efficiently as possible. However, some work is more efficiently outsourced, including some of our own internal facilities work. We have also found that outsourcing for specialized work and not maintaining special equipment, etc. for every type of request that comes in has been the most economical approach for both the requester and the University. Facilities will examine the request, consult with the requester and arrange for the best solution, including (but not limited to) outsourcing. Outsourcing work without consultation with the Facilities Department is not in the best interest of the University.

Placing A Request for Maintenance or Grounds Service

There are two ways to request maintenance and/or grounds service. Utilize the Facilities web based Schooldude work order system or use the University’s Facilities Request Form.

  1. Schooldude Work Order Management System – if University Space is not needed: If the requester does not need to reserve University space, the vehicle to request non-standard Maintenance or Grounds work is the web based Schooldude system.
  2. Facilities Request Form – if University Space is needed:If the requester needs to reserve University space, that request should be done using the Facilities Request Form. There is a place on the form to indicate a request for maintenance and grounds support. A link to this form is available from the University’s Finance and Administrative Services web page under the sidebar heading: Facilities Scheduling.

Maintenance and/or Grounds Work Protocol

1. Non-maintenance work will be handled internally, or if necessary, outsourced, and consequently charged back to your department. The non-maintenance work request handled internally is characterized as:

  • Non-specialized or non-complex
  • Not time sensitive
  • Able to be accomplished during normal work hours

2. Maintenance Technicians and Grounds Crew staff will attempt to accommodate your requests at no charge, if the request can be accomplished during normal work hours using internal resources, whether requested on a Schooldude work order or on the Facilities Request Form.

Special Projects/Minor Alterations Protocol

Special projects or alterations/renovations to buildings or grounds should be made using the Schooldude work order system. The requester should select the craft entitled: “Special Projects,” which will be initially reviewed by the Director of Physical Plant. A follow-up with the requester will take place to establish how best to accomplish the request – either internally or externally. The Director of Physical Plant may need to engage other members of the Facilities Department or outside contractors to develop the most effective solution. Ample time should be allotted for a response depending upon the complexity of the need. Costs to complete the request or project may or may not be charged back to the requester/department.

Billing for Maintenance and/or Grounds Work

1. For services required after normal business hours (8:30am-5pm, M-F) or for special projects deemed outside the normal maintenance program (whether within normal work hours or outside normal work hours) the rate of $40/hour will be charged to the respective department or special project. To account for these charges, a JCU Journal Entry Form will be the mechanism to properly account for the cost transaction. The document will be prepared by the Director of Physical Plant, who will contact the requester to obtain a University budget organization code and signature of the person authorized for spending. Completion of the Journal Entry Form will complete the expense transaction.

Note: For those requesters who do not have a University budget organization code, Facilities will accept checks payable to “John Carroll University;” payment shall be made within 30 days of the completion of the request.

2. With respect to the Facilities Department having to make material purchases or contracted labor and materials for a special project or alteration, the Facilities Department will make these commitments utilizing the requester’s budget organization code.

Thank you for your continued support of our efforts to make our campus and its surroundings the best that they can be. Our collective efforts reflect the face of the University in so many different ways – every day – as we continue to strive to be a viable choice for prospective students, provide a welcome home environment for our visiting alumni, and simply, so we can be good stewards of our property.

If you have questions regarding these policies, please contact either the Director of Physical Plant or the Associate Vice President of Facilities.

Facilities Office

The Facilities Office is located in Room 07 on the lower level of the Lombardo Student Center and is open M-F 8:30-5:00.

Phone: (216) 397-4314
Fax: (216) 397-4675