The Pre-Health Professions Program seeks to provide John Carroll students with as many opportunities as possible to fulfill their goal of becoming a healthcare professional. We advise students on issues such course selection, career paths in healthcare, and preparing and applying for medical or professional school.
- Our office includes a full-time director, Kathy Lee, Ph.D., and a physician-in-residence, George Lewandowski ’78, M.D., who are available to mentor and assist students.
- We also offer a course, Survey of the Health Professions, designed to familiarize students with the wide array of professions within healthcare, the educational requirements for entering these professions, and the ability to meet admissions officers from the professional schools along with those who are students or professional practitioners in the various fields.
We also have developed partnerships with several institutions to benefit our students as they pursue their career goals. Some programs that are currently in place include:
- An early acceptance program with the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine that reserves up to 10 seats each year for JCU students in OU-HCOM’s medical school. Established Ohio residents (both high school seniors and current JCU students) who meet admission requirements may apply for the program.
- An early acceptance program with the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine that reserves up to 20 seats each year for JCU students in LECOM’s medical, dental and pharmacy schools. High school seniors and current JCU students who meet admission requirements may apply for the program.
- The articulation program with the Bolton School of Nursing at Case Western Reserve University where students spend three years at John Carroll majoring in biology followed by completion of the requirements for the Masters of Nursing degree at the Bolton School of Nursing.
- The MEDStart program is an early assurance medical school entry program in collaboration with the University of Toledo College of Medicine. This program allows qualified students to apply to the University of Toledo medical school in the fall of their junior year. The successful applicant is not required to take the MCAT and upon successful completion of the senior year at John Carroll will transition into the next entering class at the medical school.
- The Case Western Reserve University Master of Science in Anesthesia Program is an early assurance program for students interested in a career as an anesthetist. John Carroll students meeting the entrance requirements may apply for reserved seats at the Cleveland Campus, the Houston campus, or the Washington, D.C. campus.
Professional Healthcare Preparation Minor and Certificate
- Our Professional Healthcare Preparation Minor and Certificate program is designed to help you get a head start on a medical career. This program will complement your major, emphasizing knowledge about career options in healthcare, communication, ethics, management, and compassionate care.
Pre-Medical Post Baccalaureate Program
- Our Pre-Medical Post Baccalaureate Program is aimed at those students who have obtained a bachelor’s degree but are seeking to fulfill the math and science requirements for medical school admission.