Skip to main content

FERPA: What Parents Need to Know
When a student reaches the age or 18 or begins attending a post-secondary institution regardless of age, FERPA rights transfer to the student. Parents may obtain directory information at the discretion of the institution.

Directory Information at JCU:

  • Name
  • Campus, local, home email addresses
  • Campus, local, home cell telephone numbers
  • Major(s)
  • Class year
  • Year of graduation
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Date and place of birth
  • Photograph
  • Dates of attendance
  • Full or part-time status
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Previous educational institution attended
  • Weight and height of members of an athletic team

The change of address or name change form can be downloaded here. Please fill out the appropriate information, sign, and fax or mail this form (and any documentation) to:

Office of the Registrar
John Carroll University
1 John Carroll Boulevard
University Hts., OH 44118

Fax: (216) 397-3049

This form is to update parent information only. Students can fill out a separate form with their appropriate information.

Information for Parents:

Am I able to access the JCU financial and academic records of my son or daughter?
In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), once a student is 18 years old or is enrolled in college, certain information is protected and can only be released with the student’s authorization. At JCU we have Proxy Access which offers students the ability to provide online access to this information for their parents.

How do I know if my son or daughter has authorized me to access his or her records? Once your student logs requests access to his or her records for you, you will be sent an email with a temporary PIN and instructions for accessing the Proxy Access system.

NOTE: You should not be using your student’s Campus Network ID and password to access their account. 

Web for Parents FAQ and Instructions

How do I access the Proxy Access application?
If you have been granted access by your student, you can view their information by following the instructions below:

  • Open the John Carroll University home page –
  • On the upper right of the home page, click on Inside JCU and then click on Banner Web.
  • Click on Proxy Access and login using the email address and PIN that was sent to you.

During your initial login, you will see a message indicating that your PIN has expired. You then will be required to change your PIN.

Additional login information and instructions can be found here: Proxy Access Login Information

What if I forget my PIN (personal identification number)?
You can use the ‘Forgot PIN’ button on the login page. After typing in your User ID number you can select the ‘Forgot PIN” button and a new temporary PIN will be emailed to you. You can also ask your student to reset your PIN for you.

Who do I contact if I experience difficulty with the Web for Parent application?
Should you need assistance navigating through Banner Web, or experience any other difficulties, you should contact your student. Since the student uses the same web pages that you will be using, the student should be the first and best resource for help.

What is FERPA?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects the privacy of students and prohibits the Institution from disclosing any student information, including financial information, without the explicit authorization of the student. FERPA regulations are strictly adhered to in the design of Web for Parent application. The student must authorize your access to his or her information.

Why am I able to access the Banner Web product from home, but I get an error message when I try to access it from my place of employment?
Many businesses have a firewall that will not allow access to some outside internet sites. You may have to contact the network administrator at your workplace to see if an adjustment can be made to the firewall software to allow you to access the John Carroll site.

I have two children who attend John Carroll, but only one of my children’s names appears. Why is that?
To be in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the student has complete control over what information, if any, his/her parent(s) can view. If your student’s name does not appear he/she has not granted you access to their account information.

What pages can I see?
It is the student’s authorization that allows the parent(s) to see all, some, or none of the pages available. Proxy Access allows you to view student midterm and final grades, and gives you real-time access to the financial aid award and student account details such as balance, history of charges and payments, and copies of billing statements. Some Proxy Access pages may include links to other pages that are not a part of Proxy Access and, consequently, will not display for you. In those cases, use your browser’s back button to return to the jump off page. Note: The student is in control of which data elements you are able to see and the student may change this access at any time.