The major and minor applications are accessed via the Student Profile. Incoming students may declare a major at the point of matriculation. All students must declare their major by the completion of 45 credit hours, including transfer credits.
Students who are eligible to declare a major or minor can access the application form by logging into their Student Profile and following the instructions below:
- Click on the four small squares (i.e., waffle) in the top left-hand corner next to the "John Carroll University" logo.
- Select Banner.
- Select "Registration and Academic Services".
- Select the appropriate link to declare your primary or secondary major, or minor.
*Students are reminded that they must first declare a primary major before declaring a minor.
*Students are reminded that in order to remove any previously declared majors or minors on their record, the Request to Remove Major, Minor, or Concentration form (linked below) must be completed.
Update Student Record Forms:
Transfer Credit Information:
- Transfer Credit Course Equivalencies as of 11/1/2021 – Click the filter icon in the top-left corner to search by institution.
- Students are also strongly encouraged to meet with their advisors about taking courses at other schools.
- Transfer course equivalencies are reviewed every 4 years for relevancy. Please check the effective term in the equivalency table before registering.
- Students who want courses to transfer back to JCU differently than they are currently approved will need to submit a petition through the academic petitioning process – The Academic Petition form can be accessed through Banner under the Student Profile.
- Note: Students who want to transfer a course approved as equivalent to a JCU’s pair of laboratory and lecture courses but already have JCU credits for one component of the pair will receive credits only for the missing component of the pair of courses. That is, students who want to transfer a 4-credit course that is equivalent to a pair composed of a 3-credit lecture course and a 1-credit laboratory, but already have earned credits for the 3-credit lecture, will receive just one credit for the laboratory course.
- To complete the transfer credit process, students must request their official transcripts be sent directly from the institution to the Registrar's Office. Please note, hand-delivered transcripts or transcripts that are issued to students are not considered official. Electronic transcripts can be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or paper transcripts can be mailed to John Carroll University, Attn: Registrar's Office, 1 John Carroll Blvd., University Heights, OH 44118.
- The transcript must be received by the Registrar’s Office at John Carroll by the last Friday of the semester after completion of a transfer course (e.g., if a summer course, the last Friday of the fall semester. If a fall course, the last Friday of the following spring semester.).
- Study Abroad Information
- Students are strongly encouraged to meet with their advisors about taking courses while abroad.
- NOTE: Boler students studying abroad at non-AACSB/Boler approved schools may take only ONE course towards their major. Please see your advisor for the list of Boler-approved study abroad institutions.
- JCU Transient Student Form – Students should fill out this form with their advisor if the school where they will be taking a course requires written permission/approval.