Following the completion of this form, you will be added to the docket for the next Student Organization Budget Board (SOBB) meeting. Approval of this form by SOBB offers the organization certain privileges. *Note you must select an adviser before completing this form. Advisers must be full-time members of the JCU faculty, staff, or administration. Graduate assistants and resident ministers are not eligible. Once this form is approved by SOBB, the student completing the form will receive instructions to complete a training module in Canvas. Following passage of this training module, the organization will officially become a petitioning organization and will receive notifications accordingly.
As a petitioning organization, the group should be recruiting members and meeting to begin making plans to become recognized. Although you are not able to reserve rooms yet for meetings or events, you can make use of the public spaces across campus. It is required to have at least 10 members submitted with the Application of Student Organization Recognition form so active recruitment is critical at this time.
This form includes a mission statement, list of possible services/activities, officer list, Membership Roster, and Constitution.
- The group needs to develop a membership with a minimum of ten (10) students.
- Also, organizations need to develop officer positions, two of which must be a president and financial officer.
- If affiliating with a non-John Carroll entity or national/parent group, the petitioning group also must submit information on that organization, including its constitution.
This process should take no longer than a period of one (1) month to be processed, depending on how quickly paperwork is completed and accurate. Once the Student Organization Review Board (SORB) has reviewed the application, the group will be informed by SORB of its approval or denial.
In addition, once this application is approved, the student completing the form will receive instructions to complete a training module in Canvas. Following passage of this training module and submission of all required forms, the organization will be officially recognized as a student organization at JCU!
It is the responsibility of petitioning groups to complete all the requirements in a timely fashion. If a petitioning group loses its status or its request for recognition is denied, it must wait two weeks to re-apply for recognition.
In order to gain recognition, groups must meet the following criteria:
- The mission of the student organization must reflect the values and mission of John Carroll University.
- The services and activities offered by the organization must be directly related to the organization’s mission and must comply with the policies and procedures of the Student Union, office of student engagement, and those in the JCU Community Standards Manual.
- The mission, services, and activities of the organization should be different from any other already-existing student organization.
- Each student organization must have an adviser who is a full-time member of the JCU faculty, staff, or administration.
- Each student organization must have at least 10 active members and a solid leadership structure, including a president and a financial officer.
After the Request for Student Organization Petition form has been submitted and approved by the office of student engagement, the group has the following privileges until the group becomes a registered and recognized student organization:
- Posting privileges, including the ability to submit items for the daily Inside JCU email
- Opportunity to host a table at the annual Student Involvement Fair in September
This How to at JCU reference document provides answers to some of the most frequently asked questions from student organizations. Whether you have a question about your org code, funding, or reserving a room, this document can provide you lots of answers!