Skip to main content

Applying for Teacher Licensure

The JCU Education Department prepares both undergraduate and graduate students for professional licensure in Ohio for three licenses:

  • Primary (P-5)
  • Middle Child (4-9)
  • Adolescent/Young Adults (7-12)

Students also often transfer their Ohio license to nearby states such as Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, or Michigan. We highly recommend students get their Ohio licenses first before transferring it.


Licensure Eligibility

Eligibility for a teaching license in the state of Ohio is based on the following:

  1. Successful completion of the bachelor’s degree.
  2. Successful completion of a teacher education program.
  3. Successful completion of the appropriate OAE examinations.

To apply for your teaching license please access the Ohio Department of Education’s (ODE) website using this link: Applying for a new License |Ohio Department of Education  

This link will take you through the process. We will receive an email from the ODE letting us know that you have applied. Once we have concluded that you have met all the requirements for eligibility we will approve your application. You will receive more information about the application process during the student teaching seminar.

How do I apply?

Which test do I take?

Which License do I Apply For?

Where can I learn more about Interstate Agreements?

  • Check individual department of educations for any state you are considering applying for.
  • The organization National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification has useful information. See their website: