Skip to main content

Grant aid represents the largest portion of JCU assistance to families every year. Merit scholarships play a significant role for the best and brightest students each year. However, need-based aid (financial support based on family income, assets, and affordability) is our best way to ensure that any and all students accepted to John Carroll University will be able to attend.

To be considered for the following grants, an undergraduate student must be matriculated in an approved degree program of study. The student must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), be making at least Satisfactory Academic Progress and Renewability Criteria, meet all GPA requirements specific to the type of aid, and meet all reapplication requirements. Renewal is limited to a maximum of eight academic year semesters. View our Standards of Academic Progress policy.

  • JCU Grant: JCU Grant aid is awarded to students who demonstrate financial need based on the results of the FAFSA. This grant is renewable each year, up to eight semesters.
  • JCU Special Circumstance Grant: JCU Special Circumstance Grant aid is awarded to students who have unique financial situations that have not been captured or accurately reflected through the federal financial aid process (FAFSA). In order to be considered for this grant, the student must complete the FAFSA and submit our financial aid appeal form. This grant is not renewable, however, a student may reapply each year if their financial hardship continues.
  • John Carroll ROTC Grant (JCROTC): As a recipient of an ROTC scholarship, John Carroll University is committed to assisting a cadet with the cost of room and board. JCU will cover the standard cost of an ROTC cadet ’s billed room and board charges while living on campus. The standard rate is defined as the double occupancy published rate for the assigned residence hall and the equivalent of a 14 plus meal plan. Charges above and beyond standard billing costs are the responsibility of the student. Single rooms, rooms with private baths, suites, unlimited meal plan, and Block 250 meal plan are non-standard options. For questions regarding “standard” room and board options, please contact the Office of Student Enrollment and Financial Services.
  • Patriot Award: John Carroll University is proud to welcome our returning U.S. veterans to campus. We are excited to announce the newly created John Carroll Patriot Award to veterans that are utilizing the GI Bill. Through a combination of this award, the new GI Bill, and the Yellow Ribbon Program, any U.S. veteran may be able to attend John Carroll University virtually tuition-free. For more information please visit out Veteran Education Benefits page. 
  • Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC): Students selected to receive an ROTC scholarship will have their tuition and mandatory fees covered each term as defined by the contract between the student and the Army. Renewability of this award is determined by Military Science each semester. Cadets are required to meet all Army academic and physical standards each semester in order to receive the award. Questions about ROTC eligibility and benefits should be directed to the Military Science department.

JCU helps to administer and facilitate several different Federal grant programs for our students. All of these programs require that the student files a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to establish need and eligibility.

  • Federal Pell Grants: The Federal Pell Grant Program is designed to assist undergraduate students demonstrating financial need to obtain a higher education. The maximum award for the 22-23 award year (July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023) is $6,895. The maximum can change each award year and depends on program funding.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program (SEOG): The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program (SEOG) is administered to undergraduate students of exceptional financial need who, without the grant, would be unable to continue their education.
  • Teach Grant: For graduate students enrolled in the School-Based Master of Education Program or the Professional Teacher Initial Licensure Program. Recipients must be above the 75th percentile on one part of the GRE admission test (requirement waived for current or former teachers) or have at least a 3.25 cumulative GPA for each TEACH Grant payment period (requirement waived for current or former teachers). 
    Teach Grant Form >

Ohio Grants

  • Ohio College Opportunity Grant (OCOG): The Ohio Board of Regents administers the Ohio College Opportunity Grant (OCOG) program, which provides grant money to Ohio residents who demonstrate the highest levels of financial need (as determined by the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)) who are enrolled at Ohio public university main campuses (not regional campuses or community colleges), Ohio private, non-profit colleges or universities, and Ohio private, for-profit institutions. The amount can vary from year to year based on program funding. The deadline for OCOG is October 1st for more information please visit the OCOG website
  • Ohio War Orphans Scholarship Program: This grant is available to children of deceased or severely disabled Ohio veterans who served in a period of war or conflict. The student must be under 25, an Ohio resident and enrolling as a full-time undergraduate student. The Ohio Board of Regents will provide the application which must be returned by July 1.
  • Ohio National Guard Scholarship Program: This grant is available to eligible Ohio National Guard recipients who are enrolled at least half-time. The application deadline is July 1. Please see for more information.

Pennsylvania Grants

(Pennsylvania Residents Only)

  • Pennsylvania State Grant: Pennsylvania residents who attend John Carroll may be able to use their Pennsylvania State Grant in Ohio. The amounts vary from $200 to $600 per year and are based on full-time attendance. Applicants must complete a FAFSA form before May 1. For additional information please call the PHEAA state grants programs or visit