Skip to main content

During the course of your academic career at John Carroll University you may want to take a course(s) at another institution and transfer the course(s) back to your degree program at JCU. This can be accomplished through a Consortium Agreement and you may be eligible to receive financial aid.

This Consortium Agreement is a contract between two colleges/universities that recognizes your registration at each location for financial aid purposes. It also certifies only one of the two institutions can administer Title IV and State financial aid.

The Home Institution (JCU) is the school where the student is fully matriculated and from which he/she will earn a degree.

The Host Institution is where the student temporarily takes courses, whose credits will be transferred back to his/her “Home Campus.”

There are specific guidelines you must meet to complete this process.

  • You must be a degree-seeking student at JCU.
  • You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • You must meet with your JCU Advisor to complete a Transient Student Petition form that lists approved classes at the Host institution.
  • You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

The application process should be completed prior to the start of the term, but no later than the last day of the term.

  1. You must complete page one of the Consortium Agreement contract and forward the form to the host institution’s Financial Aid Office for completion of page two.
  2. You should follow up with Student Enrollment and Financial Services at the host institution to confirm receipt of the Consortium Agreement Contract and also to confirm that it was completed and forwarded to JCU Student Enrollment and Financial Services.
  3. You should attach a copy of your schedule and charges at the host institution showing your current balance due.
  4. Once JCU Student Enrollment and Financial Services receives all required documents, your award will be evaluated to determine federal and state aid eligibility.
  5. Any financial aid that results from this consortium agreement will be issued to the student and should be used to pay for institutional charges incurred at the host institution.

Download the Consortium Agreement.