Skip to main content

Now that you have reserved your place at John Carroll University and submitted your Financial Guarantee Statement and supporting documents, your next step is secure your student visa. The Center for Global Education advises our students on all matters related to visas.

The Center for Global Education will use the documents you have already provided to issue a Form I-20, also known as a Certificate of Eligibility. Once created, we will communicate with you via the email address you provided in your application to confirm the information on the Form and a mailing address.

We will mail your Form I-20 and send an email to you with your package tracking number. When you receive this document, please review it to ensure that all information on it is correct.

After you receive your Form I-20, pay the I-901 SEVIS fee. The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is a system that enables U.S. immigration and customs to track and monitor schools and programs, and the students, exchange visitors, and their dependents throughout the duration of approved participation within the U.S. education system. Proof of SEVIS fee payment is required in order to obtain a student visa. You will need your SEVIS ID number, located in the upper right corner of your Form I-20. 

Once you have paid the SEVIS fee, schedule an F-1 visa appointment at a U.S. Embassy in your home country. For more information on how to apply for an F-1 visa and the documents to prepare, please visit this State Department website.

If you are already in the U.S. on another visa, you must submit a completed SEVIS Transfer Form. This is needed after you are admitted and have confirmed your intent to enroll. We cannot issue your new I-20 until your SEVIS record has been released from your current institution in the U.S.

For more information regarding your visa and the above documents you can visit the U.S. Immigration website.

More information regarding the total cost of attendance can be found here.

  • I-20 form: This form is issued by John Carroll University once you have confirmed your intent to enroll and completed a satisfactory Financial Guarantee Statement. The I-20 form must be taken with you to your embassy interview.
  • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160: This is a form you will fill out online and print out to show proof that you have an appointment at the Embassy.
  • A valid passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant’s intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions).  
  • A copy of your acceptance letter from John Carroll University. The JCU acceptance letter and packet must be taken with you for your embassy interview as proof of your offer of admission.
  • A copy of your Financial Guarantee Statement and supporting documentation (e.g., bank statements). This form certifies you and your family’s ability to finance tuition, living expenses, and fees associated with attending John Carroll; a copy must be taken with you for your embassy interview.