Skip to main content

Summer and Fall programs: March 1

Spring programs: September 1

JCU’s Rome program for Fall: April 1

Boler in France Spring: September 1

For ISEP Exchange programs, the priority application deadline for Fall is February 15 and for Spring is September 1. Many ISEP programs will accept applications until full.

The minimum GPA requirement is 2.5. Some programs have higher GPA requirements, for example Boler in France requires a 2.8, as well as programs at Irish and Japanese universities.

  1. Complete this study abroad interest form.
  2. Once you have complete this interest form you will be added to the Canvas Classroom for the study abroad program you are interested in. This is where you will complete the study abroad application. 
  3. There are several forms (up to ten) that need to be completed for each program. Be sure to complete all of the pages, or your application will not be considered.
  4. You should make appointments to meet with:
    a.) your academic advisor to discuss what courses to take while abroad, and
    b.) the Office of Financial Aid, to discuss how your financial aid package can be applied to your chosen program.
  5. You need to include a copy of your unofficial transcripts with your application. These can be printed from BannerWeb.
  6. As your application is reviewed by the Center for Global Education, you will receive updates via email about your status.

For 3rd-party programs (programs that are not affiliated with John Carroll University), you will follow the same steps, and under United States choose “3rd party program” from the list of available programs.

If you have any questions about the application process or your application status, please contact Libbie DePastino (, 216-397-4320)

  1. Instructions on how to order official transcripts. You will need these for the host institution’s application.
  2. File a Transient Petition Form in BannerWeb. This needs to be done before you leave for your study abroad site, to ensure that your courses will transfer back to John Carroll University. Transient petition forms are not necessary for programs at Regent’s University, London or the JCU in Rome program. Instructions to file a Transient Petition.
  3. Student Health/Emergency Treatment Authorization form can be submitted online.
  4. You are required by JCU to carry health insurance that covers you while you are abroad, for $45 per calendar month. Return the CISI Enrollment Form with payment to the Center for Global Education. If you have questions about this insurance or the total cost, please ask Ms. Melanie Hahn at or 216.397.4320. If your program provider requires you to buy their insurance, you must show me documentation of this before we will waive the CISI insurance requirement.

Study Abroad Policy

Policy Statement Preface

Students must be in good academic, disciplinary, and financial standing in order for their applications for study abroad to be approved. To maintain approval, students must continue to meet all of the following standards at the conclusion of the semester that leads into the starting date of their study abroad program.

To be eligible for study abroad, students must meet John Carroll University requirements and also any program-specific requirements. For example, some programs may have a higher GPA requirement, or require that participants have a certain major, etc.

Earning Academic Credit for Study Abroad

Academic credit for courses completed abroad will only be awarded to students who have applied and been accepted to study abroad through the Center for Global Education. Once applicants have been accepted to study abroad, they must secure approval for all study abroad courses before they begin their study abroad program, through the regular online academic petition process.


 In order to be accepted for study abroad, a student must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 and a minimum GPA of 2.5 during the semester leading up to study abroad. (Please note that some programs may have a higher minimum GPA requirement.) If the GPA of a student who has been approved to study abroad falls below 2.5 for the semester leading up to study abroad, permission to participate in the study abroad program will be reconsidered, even if travel and other arrangements have been made.

Full-time Standing

JCU-approved study abroad and exchange programs require participants to maintain full-time standing (at least 12 credits and up to 18 credits) while on their programs. Similarly, JCU expects students applying for study abroad through the Center for Global Education to demonstrate that they have consistently been able to carry at least a 12-credit course load in the two semesters leading up to the study abroad program.


Students who are assigned an Incomplete in the term prior to their study abroad semester will be re-evaluated for eligibility to study abroad.

Appeals Process

Students who wish to appeal a denied study abroad application must first contact the Center for Global Education and request an appeal. Following the receipt of the request, the Center will review the appeal, contacting other departments for information as appropriate. After the review is completed, the Center and student will meet to discuss the results and final decision.

Make an appointment or apply

Interested in Studying Abroad?