Skip to main content

Key to understanding the Office of Residence Life at John Carroll University is knowledge of its mission and the “why” supporting it. The Office of Residence Life supports the University’s mission by fostering a safe, caring, and inclusive community living environment that promotes holistic growth through student engagement and development programming. Our core is community and learning. We believe in building strong communities where students are connected and engaged in learning that lasts a lifetime.

Recognizing this is a time of transition for both students and parents, the Office of Residence Life is committed to help ease this period of adjustment and hopes that the information provided will be of some help. It is our goal to furnish every student a safe and secure environment in which to grow academically.

College is not only an adjustment for your student, but also for you as a parent. We strive to provide a living environment that creates a sense of belonging and community for students to develop the whole person, “head, heart, intellect and feelings,” and a desire to learn from every experience. In this sense we hope to collaborate with you as they grow and develop into young adults.

As in any new living experience there are social adjustments, and one can expect concerns about living situations at times. As we partner with you to assist your student, we ask that you keep the following in mind:

  • If problems arise pertaining to living in university-sponsored housing, it is important for students to take an active role in resolving them. This helps them learn how to deal with situations that may occur in the future.
  • Trained Residence Life staff members are available to problem solve with your student. While we are willing to talk to you about your concerns as a parent, involvement must be primarily and directly with the student. This helps prevent any miscommunication and is critical in resolving most issues.
  • If you, as a parent, feel you must intervene in some way, please do not do so without your student’s knowledge. In order for a successful resolution to occur and for it to be an educational experience for your student, the student must be involved.
  • While it may be helpful for you to guide and support your student through these situations, they must be given the opportunity to grow and follow their own course of action.

If you have concerns or questions, please contact the Office of Residence Life at 216.397.4408 or

University-sponsored housing presents students with opportunities to make daily choices that affect their health and safety. Students need to be proactive, informed, and utilize available campus resources that promote and assist with these services.

For further information please review the services described in the following links:

Guide to Key and Room Safety

  • If a room key is lost, no matter the circumstances, a lock change will be made.
  • Residence hall keys may not be duplicated for any reason. Failure to comply will result in a lock change and a conduct referral.
  • Stolen or lost keys should be reported immediately to the Office of Residence Life and the JCU Police Department.
  • CarrollCard IDs and room keys may not be passed from a resident to another person in order to gain unescorted access to a building or room. Disregard for this policy will result in a disciplinary referral.
  • The door to your room should never be left unlocked or propped open, nor should a door to the residence hall be propped.
  • Any breach of security through a lost or stolen key in your possession must be reported immediately to the Office of Residence Life and JCU Police Department.
  • If a key is broken off in a lock, please do not try to remove the key piece. Notify the Office of Residence Life or JCUPD as soon as possible.
  • If you find a key, are in possession of an unauthorized key, or have had a lock change and then find the misplaced key, please turn the key into the Office of Residence Life as soon as possible.
  • Student will be charged $75 per key if lost or stolen and $50 per CarrollCard ID if lost or stolen.

The residential learning environment is a daily opportunity for students to explore differences and witness diversity of thought, perspective, and experience in action. For many, it may be the first time they have had to share a space with others. This sharing requires students to learn how to live cooperatively with others, effectively articulate their viewpoints and needs, and manage conflict through the interactions they have with other residents in their halls.

As your student adjusts to life on campus and living in the residence halls, there can be social adjustments and concerns about roommates and living situations. It often happens that you may hear of a roommate conflict before we do. This can be distressing, and you may be tempted to take care of the situation yourself. The best approach is to listen and support your student and let them address the issue(s). This often leads to a successful solution. Trained staff members are available to offer assistance and to mediate conflicts if necessary, but only after all perspectives are heard. Do not assume the Office of Residence Life knows about the situation if your student has not spoken to his/her RA about it.

Communication is a key factor in avoiding and resolving roommate conflicts. Here are some tips to guide your student in the right direction towards roommate conflict resolution.

  • If potential for a conflict arises, encourage your student to talk about the issue immediately with the roommate rather than let things go until it leads to resentment.
  • Let your student lead the conversation, listen to what they have to say, and avoid being judgmental.
  • Find out if all of the roommates have a signed roommate agreement, and ask if they have reviewed it together recently.
  • Ask if the roommates have sat down together and communicated their feelings freely with one another.
  • If your student has tried the above strategies with their roommate(s), ask if they have discussed the situation with their RA or Area Coordinator. If not, encourage them to do so. Residence Life cannot assist with a conflict if they do not know about it.

To contact the Office of Residence Life, call 216.397.4408 or email

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

1. The right to inspect and review the student’s educational records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, chair of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that person will advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA. A student who wishes to amend such a record should write to the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record s/he wants changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student of the decision in writing and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Student requests for formal hearings must be made in writing to the academic vice president who, within a reasonable time of receiving such requests, will inform students of the date, place, and time of the hearing. The academic vice president, the vice president for student affairs, the associate dean for Graduate Programs, and the academic dean of the student’s college or school will constitute the hearing panels for challenges to the content of education records. Upon denial and subsequent appeal, if the University still decides not to amend the record, the student has the right to place a statement with the record setting forth his or her view about the contested information.

3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the board of directors; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University. Upon request, the University discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll. The University may also disclose student information without consent during audits/evaluations, in connection with financial aid, during certain studies, to accrediting organizations, to comply with a judicial order, and during health and safety emergencies. The University may disclose student information to a student’s parent during health and safety emergencies, or when that student is a financial dependent of the parent, or when the student is under age 21 and has violated Federal, State, or local law, or any rule or policy of the University governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance.

4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by John Carroll University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. Students may file complaints with The Family Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave., S.W., Washington, D.C. 20202-5901.

5. The right to withhold directory information. The University has designated the following as directory information: student name, address (including e-mail address), telephone number, date and place of birth, photograph, major field of study, class year and enrollment status, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, the most recent previous educational institution attended, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and weights and heights of members of athletic teams. Students may refuse to allow the University to designate the above information about them as directory information by notifying the registrar in writing within two weeks after the first day of class for the fall semester. Students must submit an annual written notification of refusal to allow the designation of directory information.

6. The right to annual notification. The University must notify students annually of their rights under FERPA. The actual means of notification is left to the discretion of the University.

Set in University Heights, Ohio, John Carroll’s 60-acre suburban campus is situated only 10 miles east of Downtown Cleveland. This allows our students the best of both worlds: a beautiful, safe campus in a neighborhood of tree-lined streets and lovely homes, with easy access to restaurants, museums, professional sports teams, recreation, and community service in and around a metropolitan area.

Learn more