Skip to main content

Looking for a Policy?

Certain policies required for compliance with federal, state, or other regulations are also posted on the Policies and Disclosures page, linked at the bottom of every page on the University website.

Use the links below to navigate within this page.

Please note that, until recently, many policy documents have a cross references section with hyperlinks directly to the policies mentioned. We are in the process of replacing these links with a link to the main policy pages. If you follow a hyperlink, please check this page or the HR page to ensure that the policy has not changed in the meantime.

General Policy Processes

Policies may be created by departments and offices on campus and sent to the appropriate policy committee for review, discussion, and approval. 

  • Policies for employees: HR Policy Committee (Jen Rick)
  • Policies for students (nonacademic): Dean of Students Office (Emily Sherwood)
  • Educational Policies: University Committee on Educational Policy (Meghan Gibbons)
  • All Other Polices: University Committee on Administrative Policy (Todd Bruce)

Individuals who become aware of a policy gap may also request a policy by completing the New Policy Request Form. Your request will be routed to the appropriate committee, and the chair will follow up with you.

All policies are reviewed on a regular schedule, but members of the campus community who have concerns about a policy may request an early review by completing the Policy Review Request Form. The request will be routed to the appropriate committee, and the chair will follow up with you. 


Interim COVID-19 Policy

Human Resources Policies

Human Resources’ Policy page links to policies pertaining to employment, compensation, benefits, leaves & accommodations, communication, conduct, and technology.  The Human Resources’ Policy page also lists some broader university policies that they have reviewed, including policies on copyright, University vehicles, alcohol and drug testing, contract approvals, signature declarations.  

Other Policies Linked at the HR Policies site




University Administrative Policies

If a position named in a policy is temporarily vacant, the supervisor of the named position will designate an individual to fill that role until the position is filled.

If a position named in a policy no longer exists, the supervisor of that position should notify UCAdP to amend the policy. If that has not yet happened and the need arises, that position's role in said policy will be fulfilled by the employee who has assumed responsibility for that element of the former position's workload. If it is unclear who should take on the role, the supervisor of the named position will designate a temporary replacement and notify UCAdP and any other relevant constituents.

Click here to see a complete list of positions named in policies and any temporary delegations.


Please address questions about this policy to the Director of Regulatory Affairs and Risk Management.

Alcohol may be used or served on John Carroll University property or in connection with University-sponsored Events and activities only in accordance with both the procedures enumerated in the full policy document and applicable state, local, and federal laws and regulations. 

Click here for the full policy document.

Please address questions about this policy to the Director of Regulatory Affairs and Risk Management.

Except for animals specifically exempted by this policy, animals (including but not limited to dogs, cats, birds, or snakes) are not permitted in any John Carroll University building at any time.  Animals such as dogs and cats may be present outdoors on campus grounds if they are leashed or held and attended at all times.  Students in residence halls are required to follow rules and restrictions on animals in residence halls.

Click here for the full policy document.

Please address questions about this policy to the Director of Community Standards

This policy outlines the commitment of John Carroll University to prohibit all forms of hazing. Hazing is antithetical to the mission and values of JCU because it harms, degrades, and dehumanizes members of the John Carroll community. Therefore, hazing in any form is prohibited and will not be tolerated. In addition, Ohio law prohibits hazing. JCU will investigate and respond to all reports of hazing as outlined in this policy.  

Click here for the full policy document.

Please address questions about this policy to the Director of the Library

John Carroll University requires all administrative or academic departments to transfer appropriate records as defined in this policy to the University Archives. 

Click here for the full policy document.

Please address questions about this policy to the Controller.

Only certain designated John Carroll University employees within the Business Office are authorized to approve, open, make changes to, and close all bank accounts controlled by the University and its affiliated entities.  All bank accounts controlled by the University or affiliated entities must be reconciled on a monthly basis, within fifteen (15) business days of receipt of the statement.  Domestic bank accounts, including credit card merchant accounts, are reconciled by the University’s Controller’s Office.

Click here for the full policy document.

Please address questions about the policy to the Office of Institutional Effectiveness

All governance committees at John Carroll University (“the University”), as defined below, must record meeting minutes, following the instructions in the Procedures section below. All standing faculty and staff committees are strongly encouraged to keep minutes; other bodies (subcommittees of other committees, working groups, task forces, action teams, tiger teams, and ad hoc committees) should decide at their outset whether minutes will be a part of their work. Any committee making a decision that might serve as evidence for accreditation must record minutes for meetings in which such decisions are made. 

All current members of each committee must have access to all of the official records of committee meetings and actions, unless confidential or otherwise protected by legal privilege or by applicable law.  In all cases, records must be made available to the General Counsel and/or the President upon request. All meeting records related to accreditation evidence must be made available to the Accreditation Liaison Officer upon request. 

Click here for the full policy document.  

Please address questions about this policy to Human Resources.

John Carroll University prohibits any faculty member, staff member, or graduate assistant from engaging in a consensual romantic and/or sexual relationship with a student or employee over whom that individual exercises academic, supervisory, or professional authority unless a management plan is approved as provided for in this policy. Further, a faculty member, staff member, or graduate assistant is prohibited from exercising academic or professional authority over any student or employee with whom the individual has previously had a consensual romantic or sexual relationship unless a management plan is approved as provided for in this policy. Other types of romantic or consensual relationships where there is not academic, supervisory, or professional authority but involving a significant power or status differential between the two individuals (i.e. such as a faculty or staff member and an undergraduate student; a faculty member and a graduate assistant) are strongly discouraged.

Click here for the full policy document.

Please address questions about this policy to the Director of Student Accessibility Services.

In furtherance of its non-discrimination policies, it is the policy of John Carroll University to comply fully with state and federal laws, including the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 , and to establish a procedure to ensure that grievances are fairly heard and resolved. Grievances arising under this Policy include disability-related allegations concerning accessibility problems, discriminatory treatment, harassment, retaliation, and other allegations of disability-related violations of the University’s policies or legal obligations.  

Click here for the full policy document.

Please address questions about this policy to General Counsel

This Policy addresses and prescribes the circumstances under which those with Signatory Authority, other employees, and students may utilize an Electronic Signature when signing documents on behalf of John Carroll University and the procedures they must follow when doing so. Employees should consult the Contract Approval & Signatory Authority Policy II-4 to determine whether they possess signatory authority before signing any documents on behalf of the University. 

Click here for the full policy document.

Click here to access the current list of approved Electronic Signature Services.

Please address questions about this policy to the Director of Regulatory Affairs and Risk Management.

Students, faculty, and staff participating in International Travel organized, sponsored, and/or funded by the University are required to comply with this International Travel Safety Policy, as well as other applicable John Carroll University policies and procedures, and applicable laws governing International Travel. The procedures in the policy are intended to ensure that all travel by students, faculty, and staff participating in University-sponsored or University-funded International Travel is reviewed by the University, and all relevant health, safety and security factors are taken into consideration before approval of the trip. The health and safety of University students, faculty, and staff are the top priorities of the University.     Students, faculty, or staff wishing to initiate a program or trip that involves International Travel must apply for and obtain approval for the International Travel, as outlined in the procedures below. International travel organizers must assure that students, faculty, and staff traveling on the program or trip complete necessary paperwork described in the procedures below, and also are apprised of risks associated with the travel, as identified by the U.S. Department of State.  

Other policies and requirements for approval for International Travel may exist or be put in place, particularly for study abroad and immersion travel. These could include academic/curricular and budgetary approvals. This policy is primarily focused on health, safety, and security.    All International Travel requires the completion of a request form.  Travel to countries or regions of countries identified by the U.S. Department of State as a Travel Advisory Level 2 or 3 must also be reviewed by the International Travel Safety Committee (ITSC or Committee). Travel to countries or regions of countries identified by the U.S. Department of State as a Travel Advisory Level 4 is prohibited, unless an exception is granted by the Vice President of the division and the University President; such exceptions will be based on extraordinary circumstances.    Click here for the full policy document.

Please address questions about this policy to the Registrar.

John Carroll University seeks to provide a community for faculty, staff and students that promotes personal growth and development in a safe and welcoming environment. The University is committed to the belief that respect for the rights and dignity of all people must be protected. This goal is an integral part of all aspects of University life, rooted in our Jesuit Catholic identity, and is essential to our academic community.  

Therefore, members of the community are supported and encouraged, when they wish to do so, to express a preferred name and to identify pronouns that they would like others to use when referring to them. The Procedures in the policy document delineate in which situations the University will use legal names and in which preferred names. Consistent with the University value of demonstrating respect for the rights and dignity of all people, all members of the University community are encouraged to demonstrate respect for others by using the addressee’s preferred name and/or expressed pronouns.

Click here for the full policy document and here for the FAQ.

Please address questions about this policy to the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging

John Carroll University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as constitutive elements of our Jesuit Catholic identity. As reflected in the University’s vision, mission, core values and strategic initiatives, the University welcomes individuals who will contribute to its mission and goals. Our pursuit of excellence demands that we come to understand and embrace the richness that each person brings to the University community. 

In a manner consistent with the University's Jesuit Catholic mission, the University maintains and enforces a policy of equal opportunity. John Carroll University does not discriminate based on any of the following as defined and protected by applicable law: race, age, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, ethnic or national origin, disability, military or veteran status protected under federal or state law, or genetic information. Discrimination and bias against members of the University community strikes at the very heart of this institution and will not be tolerated by any student, employee, contractor, visitor, or volunteer.

The University does not tolerate Discrimination, Discriminatory Harassment, Hate Crimes, or Bias-Related Incidents by any member(s) of the University community. Certain actions that do not constitute Discrimination, Discriminatory Harassment, or a Hate Crime (referred to collectively as “Discriminatory Acts”) but constitute a Bias-Related Incident against any member of the University Community on any of the bases cited above also are defined and addressed under this policy. Discriminatory Acts and Bias-Related Incidents are prohibited in all employment and academic contexts, inclusive of online or remote employment or coursework; at University-sponsored or University-affiliated events, conferences or travel (including, but not limited to, domestic, international, immersion, or study-abroad); on University-sponsored business; or while on University property. Any Discriminatory Act or Bias-Related Incident involving a JCU community member that occurs off-campus and that impacts the University, a University interest, or a University community member in some manner (i.e. affecting the safety, reputation, or mission of the University, or relates to a member of the University community) also is prohibited and may be addressed under this policy and other applicable policies and procedures. 

This policy applies to communications that are both in-person and on social media or electronic platforms or formats. Use of any social media or other technology to engage in Bias-Related Incidents, Discrimination, or Discriminatory Harassment will not be tolerated.

Reports of Discriminatory Acts or Bias-Related Incidents will be investigated and resolved consistent with this policy and other applicable policies and procedures. 

The University makes available a number of mechanisms to report Discriminatory Acts or Bias-Related Incidents, as described in this policy. 

Click here for the full policy document


Please address questions about this policy to the Title IX Coordinator.

John Carroll University is committed to creating and maintaining a community where all individuals enjoy freedom from discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of sex, as required  by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. Consistent with obligations under federal regulations, sex discrimination, which can include discrimination based on pregnancy, marital status, or parental status, is prohibited and illegal in admissions, educational programs and activities, hiring, leave policies, and employment policies. John Carroll University hereby establishes a policy and associated procedures for ensuring  non-discrimination and  equal treatment, as well as a reasonable accommodation process, for pregnant students, students with pregnancy-related conditions, and students who have recently become parents.  Based on requests from the student, consultation with instructors, and a determination of reasonable accommodations by the University, reasonable accommodations provided to the student may include leaves of absences, academic adjustments, physical modifications, and other accommodations for support and assistance for the student.  

Click here for the full policy document.


Please address questions about this policy to the University Counsel.

John Carroll University requires that certain types of University records be retained for specific periods of time in accordance with legal and institutional requirements. These records can be destroyed after these retention periods have ended.  The University has designated Offices of Record or Data Stewards to manage the retention and disposal of such records in accordance with this policy. 

Click here for the full policy document.

Please address questions about this policy to the Director of IT Security.

The ability to collect and process information for administrative and academic purposes is critical to John Carroll University’s mission. Information collected and processed may include personal information regarding students, employees or alumni. Users utilizing University computing resources or Data are responsible for managing and maintaining the security of the data, computing resources and protected information, including Sensitive Data. Protecting such information is driven by a variety of considerations including legal, academic, financial, and other business requirements. 

All employees of the University community have a responsibility to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of Sensitive Data from unauthorized collection, access, modification, disclosure, transmission, or destruction by following the Procedures in the full policy document.

Click here for the full policy document.

Please address questions about this policy to the Associate Vice President of Facilities.

This policy shall promote accountability and stewardship by the Users of University SPACE.  Users of SPACE may provide input into the use of SPACE; however, the University Space Committee is the final decision-making authority.

All SPACE is property of the University and is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws inclusive of fire codes, regulations, and rules. If a conflict arises between this Policy and federal, state, or local laws, then the applicable laws shall govern.  

All SPACE is subject to assignment, reassignment, and redevelopment to meet the overall needs and best interest of the University and the members of the University community. This includes but is not limited to all academic SPACES, administrative SPACES (inclusive of office and classroom), residence halls, and auxiliary facilities. Long-range planning for optimum use of these valuable, essential University assets is a continuing process.

  1. Delegation and reallocation of SPACE is necessary in order to sustain the physical plant and support the University’s Strategic Plan and priorities.
  2. SPACE is a limited resource and has intrinsic value; SPACE must be managed for effective and productive use in the same manner as monetary assets, personnel, and equipment.
  3. SPACE assignments and decisions for improvements or investments in SPACE shall be aligned not only with the University’s Mission and core values (including holistic care for the person), Strategic Plan, and established priorities but also with available resources.

The University SPACE Committee has the right to delegate use and stewardship of SPACE to other entities, as it deems acceptable, and can reassign responsibilities as necessary.  It is the expectation that these stewards establish guidelines and procedures for the use of SPACE in keeping with this SPACE policy. The University maintains a SPACE inventory.  Classification and allocation of SPACE, although not completely comprehensive, is described in Appendix A.  The names and responsibilities of these stewards may be amended as needed from time to time by the University SPACE Committee and serve here to further describe this policy.

Utilization of learning SPACE will be determined in pursuit of innovative teaching and University Learning Goals across the entire student experience. Utilization of all SPACE will be determined in pursuit of optimum allocation, utilization, and operation and strive for the maximum benefit of available resources with consideration for individuals affected.

Use, assignment, and scheduling of SPACE shall be compatible with SPACE type (as the SPACE is designed, operated, and defined by HEGIS codes) for the health, safety, welfare, and maximum benefit of the University Community.

SPACE usage and assignments shall promote fiscal responsibility and University sustainability by considering the short and long-term costs attributed to SPACE.

SPACE will be allocated and assigned to specific users.  SPACE can be allocated or assigned to groups or individuals on a short term/temporary basis or for longer periods of time.

Specific procedures and guidelines for the use of SPACE shall be the responsibility of the designated stewards of University SPACE and as approved by the University Space Committee.

Only the University Space Committee may authorize a change to the use type of a SPACE (change to the HEGIS code category) or approve major reconfigurations of a SPACE.

Faculty and staff members may generally only occupy one office SPACE on campus regardless of multiple responsibilities assigned or operating in multiple capacities on campus.

The contents of SPACE, including furnishings and equipment, are covered by separate policies.

Click here for the full policy document.

Please address questions about this policy to the Provost and Academic Vice President.

John Carroll University is committed to creating an environment that supports free expression and inquiry and that embraces liberal education as a search for truth, where faith and reason complement each other in learning. In this context, the University encourages its faculty, staff, and registered student organizations to contribute to the role of the University as a forum for educational and intellectual discussion, debate, investigation and/or artistic expression. The University recognizes that, as an institution of higher education, speakers and events may generate conversations or ideas that are difficult or uncomfortable or that espouse differing viewpoints in order to foster the pursuit of truth and the expansion of knowledge. In making determinations under this policy, the University also seeks to act consistently with the University’s Jesuit Catholic heritage, which encourages the University to pursue differing perspectives that bring us to the margins of human experience in service to the truth. Speakers and events should foster and exhibit respectful dialogue. 

The following persons or groups must submit a Speaker and Events Registration Form (link will be inserted link when process is ready) to host speakers and events involving non-University faculty, staff or students (“External Speakers and Events”) on University property or as part of a University-sponsored event off campus: 

  1. Student organizations registered and recognized through the Office of Student Engagement and Student Government,
  2. University faculty and staff members, and/or 
  3. Academic or administrative departments. 

The organization, individual, or department submitting the Registration Form is referred to in this policy as the Sponsor. 

This policy does not apply to speakers invited by a faculty member to the faculty member’s class or to advance the classroom experience in service to the learning goals for the class or academic program or for other relevant pedagogical reasons. The screening questions on the Registration Form will help potential Sponsors determine whether or not this policy applies to the prospective External Speaker or Event.

This policy also does not apply to job candidates who are giving a presentation as part of the hiring process, guests appearing on WJCU programming, or to Commencement speakers, who are approved through Advancement and the Senior Leadership Team.

This policy also does not apply to speakers or events that are hosted by a non-University organization or individual as part of an external facility use or rental arrangement and that do not fall under the definition of an External Speaker or Event (hereinafter “Facilities Use Arrangements”).  Speakers or events that are part of a Facilities Use Arrangement must meet the requirements set out in any Facilities Use Agreement and/or comply with all requirements and restrictions set by the University and the Auxiliary Services Department.  Speakers or events during Facilities Use Arrangements must comply with University policies, applicable law, and directives of JCUPD and other University officials related to the event.  The University reserves the right to decline or cancel use of its facilities for any speaker or event that is part of any Facilities Use Arrangement.  Failure of the sponsoring organization/individual or of attendees at any speaker or event that is part of a Facilities Use Arrangement to comply with applicable law or a request by a presiding officer or any other official such as JCUPD or other law enforcement may result either in removal from the event or the termination of the event itself. The University may exercise discretion and take appropriate actions to address such violations, including but not limited to cancellation of the event and/or removal of violators of law or any University policies.  

The Sponsor of an External Speaker or Event must comply with the procedures outlined in this policy to host External Speakers or Events either on University property or at off campus events sponsored by the University.

In order to promote civil discourse in an environment that is committed to welcoming diverse viewpoints, the University may require that the speaker or event be facilitated by a person approved by the University.

The University reserves the right to reschedule, relocate, or cancel an External Speaker or Event if a speaker or event creates a public safety concern; disrupts University operations; violates a University policy; or uses the event as a platform to denigrate the Jesuit Catholic identity or mission of the University. Any invitation to an External Speaker or Event extended by a Sponsor may be rescinded by the University if it is determined that hosting the proposed speaker or event will disrupt safe and orderly campus operations, or would be in violation of this policy or another University policy. 

Click here for the full policy document. Click here for the approval form.


Please address questions about this policy to the Director of Institutional Research

Any internal John Carroll University community member or external researcher who wishes to survey students, alumni, or employees of the University must first obtain approval from the appropriate University authority. 

Click here for the full policy document.

Click here to access the survey submission link.

Sponsored Research Policies

Please address questions about these policies to the Director of Sponsored Research.

Federal law, various states’ laws, and this and other John Carroll University policies prohibit trafficking in persons and related unlawful activities. University employees will not engage in, support, or use funds received from any source for such trafficking-in-persons activities.

Click here for the full policy document.

All restricted operating accounts—including federal awards—are set up with a unique Fund and Organization number at John Carroll University. The Fund number is set up using a predecessor Fund number created for each type of federal award. This allows the university to identify in the chart of accounts all federal awards received and expended. The unique Fund and Organization number also gives the university the ability to report revenue and expenditures separately by federal programs.

Records are maintained by the Accounts Payable Department and the Manager of Endowment and Grant Accounting. The Accounts Payable Department maintains records of all disbursements. Copies of check payments, which include receipts, are held for two years in the Business Office. Copies of check payments and receipts older than two years are moved to a secure storage area. The activity posted to the University’s finance and accounting system is always available to track transactions. Transactions posted to the system are indefinitely retained. The Manager of Endowment and Grant Accounting sets up a paper file and an electronic file for each federal award. The records kept include proposals, acceptance letters, notice of award, invoices that are used to draw down funds, support for invoices and any communication from the federal agency and University employees involved with the federal award.

Blank Checks: In the University accounting system blank checks are not permitted. Each check is printed at the time of processing. The blank forms that the checks are printed on are kept in storage.  The only signatures accepted by the bank are those of the University’s authorized signatories, including the President.

Segregation of Duties: There is a clear segregation of duties for electronic fund transfers. Accounts Payable creates the vendor accounts for an electronic fund transfer. The actual transfer, direct deposit, or wire is processed by the Assistant Controller or the Assistant to VP for Finance.

Click here for the full policy document.

Independent appraisal, by a non-University auditor, of John Carroll University's financial and administrative performance is done on an annual basis. This audit includes a report on compliance for each major federal program and a report on internal control over compliance. This report audits the University's compliance with the types of compliance requirements described in the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Compliance Supplement, including that the procurement, receipt, and payment for goods and services comply with Federal statutes, regulations, and the terms and conditions of Federal awards. The preparation of the Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards (SEFA) is prepared each year and is subsequently used to determine if an audit is required to be performed in accordance with the Single Audit Act for fiscal years with expenditures under federal awards of $750,000 or more. The Single Audit report is submitted to the Federal Audit Clearinghouse (FAC) within the earlier of 30 days after receipt of the auditor’s report or nine months after the fiscal year’s end.

Click here for the full policy document.

Pursuant to 45 CFR 75 and 2 CFR 200, John Carroll University (“the University”) limits the spending of federally funded sponsored awards, including Health and Human Services (HHS) funding, to the amounts budgeted in the grant agreement that cover allowable project costs. The drawdown of funds for HHS awards are made using the Payment Management System (PMS). Drawdowns for HHS awards occur on a reimbursement or “as needed basis” for services and operational expenses carried out for the approved project. These drawdowns are made on a monthly or quarterly basis determined by the actual immediate cash requirements of the project. Drawdowns are not made to cover future expenditures.

Click here for the full policy document.

All costs charged to a sponsored program must comply with the sponsor’s terms and conditions, John Carroll University policies and procedures, and Federal regulations including 45 CFR 75 and 2 CFR 200.

Click here for the full policy document.

All program income on sponsored programs must be appropriately identified, documented, expended and reported according to the terms and conditions of the sponsored program and to comply with best practices and applicable laws and regulations including 45 CFR 75 and 2 CFR 200 and requirements of other sponsoring agencies, as applicable.

Click here for the full policy document.

Cost share (defined here as project or program costs not borne by the sponsoring agency but assumed by the John Carroll University) will be included in proposal submissions only when required by agency policy or guidelines (mandatory), or when commitment within the proposal increases the likelihood of the proposal being funded (committed) and such commitment is not prohibited by the agency, and with approval of the appropriate Chair/Dean.  Any cost share included in a proposal must meet the regulatory requirements, as appropriate, of the funding agency and federal circulars, as well as University policies.  

Click here for the full policy document.

Each financial transaction charged against a sponsored research award at John Carroll University (“the University”) must meet the criteria of allowability, allocability, and reasonableness.

Click here for the full policy document.

A research project may include relationships with contractors, consultants, and subrecipients.  The pass-through entity holds the responsibility for deciding whether any given arrangement constitutes a subaward (carrying out an intellectually significant portion of the Federal award, creating a financial assistance agreement) or a contractor agreement (obtaining goods and services, creating a procurement relationship). John Carroll University (“the University”) researchers must use the Procedures below to determine whether an entity is a subrecipient or a contractor for all sponsored projects.

Click here for the full policy document.

Appropriate Facilities and Administrative (F&A) Costs, also known as Indirect Costs (IDC), must be included in all requests for externally-funded sponsored programs. Waiver requests for proposals for Federal (including pass-through) funding require approval of the Associate Academic Vice President. All other waiver requests for non-Federal funding may be approved by the appropriate Dean or Chair or their appointed designees.

Click here for the full policy document.

Indirect, F&A, or overhead costs recovered from faculty grants will be distributed among the General Fund, the Academic Dean of the college of the Project Director(s), the Project Director(s), and the OSR following the procedures described in this policy.  The percentage distributed to each party follows: General Fund 50%, Academic Dean 15%, Project Director(s) 15%, OSR 20%.

Click here for the full policy document.

Investigators are prohibited from using their positions for purposes inconsistent with objectivity in research and professional integrity. When there is a conflict between John Carroll University policy/procedure and sponsor requirements, the more restrictive policy/procedure applies.

Click here for the full policy document.

45 CFR 75.303, 45 CFR 75.430, 2 CFR 200.303 and 2 CFR 200.430 contain the Federal regulatory requirements for internal controls over certifying time expended on sponsored projects. John Carroll University’s practice is to utilize an after-the-fact effort reporting system to certify that salaries charged, or cost shared to sponsored awards, are reasonable and consistent with the work performed. The individual’s effort is first assigned to specific awards in the payroll system based on anticipated activities. Actual effort expended on each project is certified by a responsible person with suitable means of verification that the work was performed, generally the principal investigator, at the end of specified reporting periods. The effort certification does not need to be exact, but it should be a reasonable estimate of how time was expended.

Click here for the full policy document.

Pursuant to CFR 45 Part 75.113, CFR 45 Part 75.300, 2 CFR Part 200.113, and 2 CFR Part 200.300 all John Carroll University faculty, staff and students must disclose to the Office of Sponsored Research, in writing and within 14 days of the official action, all violations of Federal criminal law involving fraud, bribery, or gratuity violations potentially affecting a Federal award or sub-award.  

Click here for the full policy document.

John Carroll University, upon acceptance of a contract/grant, is directly responsible and accountable for all government property in accordance with the provisions of the contract/grant, including property provided under such contract/grant which may be in the possession or control of a subcontractor.

Click here for the full policy document.

Supplies and other expendable property, equipment, real property and other services must be obtained in an effective manner and in compliance with the provisions of applicable Federal regulations 45 CFR 75 and 2 CFR 200.

Click here for the full policy document.

Principal investigators (PIs) who direct sponsored programs will need to obtain equipment, supplies, parts and services from John Carroll University and commercial sources to conduct their projects. All purchases must be conducted in a manner that will provide open and free competition to the maximum extent practical and consistent with applicable Federal cost principles.

Click here for the full policy document.

All costs charged to a sponsored program must comply with the sponsor’s terms and conditions, John Carroll University policies and procedures, and Federal regulations, including 45 CFR 75 and 2 CFR 200. Travel costs charged to sponsored awards must be allowable, allocable, and reasonable. For Federally funded sponsored programs, they must be in accordance with Federal regulations. When there is a conflict between University policy/procedure and sponsor requirements, the more restrictive policy/procedure applies.

Click here for the full policy document.



University Committee on Educational Policy

Commonly Referenced Policies

The Bulletin contains Educational/Academic policies as they are accurate at the time of Bulletin publication. If UCEP approves a policy revision which is implemented after the publication of the Bulletin, it will appear in an expander below and then appear in the next iteration of the Bulletin.

    Additional Policies--including policies that will appear in the next Bulletin--appear below.


    Spring 2021 Amendments to Policy

    Good Academic Standing

    Students maintain Good Academic Standing at the University by earning a cumulative 2.0 grade point average (GPA) or better. Grade point averages are computed to two decimal places and truncated, not rounded. 

    The University issues academic sanctions to student not in Good Academic Standing as a means to support successful degree completion. These sanctions, including Academic Warning, Academic Probation, and Suspension, alert students to renew their focus and attention on their educational progress and plans. 

    The University reserves the right to consider other indicators of satisfactory progress toward degree completion in its determination of academic sanctions. These indicators include an unsatisfactory grade point average in the major (as required by the department) or Boler Core (below a 2.0 GPA), multiple course Failures and Withdrawals, or failure to satisfactorily complete at least 67% of overall attempted credit hours.

    NOTE: Some departments require a higher GPA for students in their majors. Students should consult with their respective departments for information on the GPA requirement to be admitted to or to continue in their major.

    Academic Warning

    Students are placed on Academic Warning whenever their semester average drops below 2.0 while their cumulative average remains above this minimum. 

    Students may remain on Academic Warning for two consecutive semesters. Students who do not improve their academic record after two semesters on Warning will be placed on Academic Probation. 

    Students may not appeal the sanctions of Academic Warning and Probation.

    Academic Probation

    Students are placed on Academic Probation when their cumulative grade point average drops below a 2.0, or who have been on Academic warning for two consecutive semesters. Students on probation are subject to the following restrictions:

    1. Course registration is limited to 12-13 semester hours.
    2. Varsity student-athletes may not compete nor travel with teams for competition. They may sit on the bench at home competitions, but not in uniform. In order to practice while on Academic Probation, a student may initiate a "Permission to Practice Procedure," which involves signatures of approval and must be processed in the Office of the Registrar. The student will be charged a season of eligibility for team practice. Summer team travel is permitted with Coach and Athletic Director approvals. 
    3. They may not pledge a fraternity or sorority, or hold any elective or appointive office on campus. Students remain on Academic Probation for at least one semester until the 2.0 cumulative grade point average is earned. Probationary status may extend for up to two, consecutive semesters.

    Students may not appeal the sanctions of Academic Probation.

    Suspension and Dismissal


    Students are subject to Suspension after two consecutive fall and spring semesters on Academic Probation. Student who are academically suspended are not eligible for readmission until at least one full Fall or Spring semester and one summer have elapsed. 


    A readmitted student who returns from Suspension and continues not to meet Good Academic Standing benchmarks will be dismissed from the University are not eligible to return. 


    Students may not appeal the sanctions of Academic Warning and Probation. They may appeal academic Suspension and Dismissal and do so by completing and submitting  the Appeals Form (LINK HERE). Appeals must be received within five business days of the notification email sent date. Appeals will be considered by the Chair of the Academic Standing Committee and the Boler and CAS College Deans. Decisions will be made and communicated within 10 business days of receipt of the appeal.

    Grounds for an appeal include GPA miscalculations, administrative error or extenuating circumstances such as illnesses, family emergency, or other external factors.


    Students returning to the University after an approved Leave of Absence will be contacted by the Office of the Registrar prior to the semester in which they indicated their return. Instructions on how to re-enroll will be provided at that time.

    Students seeking to return to the University who do not have a valid or current Leave of Absence form on file, including students on Academic Probation or Suspension, must formally apply for readmission. Applicants for readmission who have attended other colleges or universities during their absence are required to provide official transcripts from each school attended. Official transcripts must be sent directly to John Carroll from each college or university (we are unable to accept hand-delivered transcripts). Failure to report collegiate-level attendance at any institution will make a student liable for immediate dismissal.

    Students who are readmitted are held to degree and curricular requirements in force at the time of their re-entrance to the University unless they are granted special approval by the appropriate Dean.

    Students applying for readmission who were on Academic Suspension must fulfill all of the requirements stipulated in the Letter of Suspension before returning to John Carroll. They may apply for readmission by contacting the Office of Admission in the term prior to the semester they are eligible to return (e.g., apply in the fall semester for readmission in the spring). Readmission is not guaranteed, and will not be granted prior to the required suspension period of one full Fall or Spring semester and one summer have elapsed. Readmission does not guarantee federal financial aid. Students should consult with the Office of Student Enrollment and Financial Services prior to their return to determine if they are making satisfactory academic progress towards their degree. The earliest a suspended student may return to the University and resume taking classes would be the semester immediately following the required period of suspension.

    Students returning from an Academic Suspension enroll for a probationary semester upon their return, as indicated in their readmission letter. Readmitted students may also be required to attend and pass an academic success course and be subject to credit hour and grade point average requirements for continued enrollment, as indicated in their readmission letter. Failure to meet these requirements may lead to the students being dismissed from the university.

    Mid-term grades are given to all undergraduate students at the midpoint of the fall and spring semesters.  Midterm grades provide students with timely feedback on their academic progress, allowing for meaningful advising conversations, earlier academic intervention, informed decision-making on possible withdrawal, and encouragement to those performing well.  These grades are not part of the permanent record and will not be used to determine enrollment status or eligibility for athletics or financial aid.

    • Revised University Policy

    John Carroll students who wish to take courses at another institution must first consult with their advisor. Students and advisors should consult the Transfer Course Equivalency table located on the Registrar’s website to determine how the course will transfer back to John Carroll.  Submission of an academic petition is not required for pre-approval of transfer if the course equivalency listed matches the student’s degree requirements. If the other school requires a transient student permission form, the student should have the advisor sign the form.  

    If the course is not listed in the Equivalency table, or if the student is requesting that the course transfer in a different manner, or for Core credit, the student must submit an online academic petition for approval before enrolling elsewhere. Course descriptions must be included in the petition. For Core and/or special designations, syllabi may be required. The permission, if given, will specify the terms under which credit will be transferred. To transfer the credit,the student must request that an official, final transcript be sent directly to the Registrar at John Carroll. Hand-delivered copies of transcripts will not be accepted. A final grade of C or better is required for transfer of credit.  Only the credits will transfer; the final grade received does not affect the student’s quality-point average at John Carroll.

    Transcript Notations

    Notations will be made on a student’s transcript for academic or conduct reasons, as described below.

    1. Minor Academic or Conduct Violations:
      For instances where a student has been placed on probation or warning for minor academic or conduct violations, no notation will appear on the transcript.
    2. Involuntary Separation:
      In instances where a student involuntarily separates from the University, a transcript notation will be used to denote the interruption or cessation in a student’s studies.
    • Suspension:
      For instances where a student has been suspended due to academic or conduct issues the following notation will appear on the transcript for the duration of the suspension and will be removed once the suspension has expired:“Suspended, Eligible to Return (term year)”

      Suspension – is defined as a temporary separation from the University due to an academic or conduct reason, for a specific period, with the option of a possible future return.  Examples include academic warnings due to a failure to meet minimum GPA requirements, academic dishonesty or serious conduct issues.
    • Dismissal:
      For instances where a student has been permanently dismissed or expelled due to  academic or conduct issues, the following notation will appear on the transcript indefinitely:Dismissed, Ineligible to Return”Dismissal – is defined as a permanent separation from the institution due to an academic or conduct reason.  Examples include final failure to meet minimum GPA requirements, severe academic dishonesty or serious conduct issues.
    1. Conduct Letter
      In instances where a student requests that a transcript be sent to another institution and the student has been suspended or dismissed from the University due to conduct violations, a conduct letter from the Dean of Students Office will accompany the transcript.  The conduct letter will include the student’s name; student identification number; transcript notation of either suspended (with date eligible to return) or dismissed; nature of conduct violation (academic or conduct) for which student was found responsible; and referral to the Dean of Students Office or other University department for additional information.
    2.  Pending Academic or Conduct Issues
      For serious pending academic or conduct matters involving a student prior to a finding of responsibility and determination of a sanction, a “Hold” will be placed on the release of a transcript until a determination as to responsibility is made and any sanction is imposed.

    University Data Retention Schedules

    Approved data retention schedules will be posted in the JCU Faculty & Staff Shared Drive once approved.