The NSF S-STEM INSPIRED program will provide scholarships to first-year students who are pursuing bachelor’s degrees in STEM disciplines. The program will support students with up to four years of funding.
Program components for first-year students include:
- Enhanced, STEM-specific activities;
- A summer bridge program with a stipend provided, preparing students for advanced STEM coursework, imparting key skills for academic success, and developing connections with students, staff, and faculty;
- A cohort advising course to introduce scholars to the JCU community and reinforce relevant skills at each stage of their academic development;
- Three 1-credit courses (Entering Research, Entering the STEM Workforce, and STEM Entrepreneurship) will scaffold the experience of INSPIRED scholars as they prepare for and participate in academic and research experiences at JCU and beyond;
- Peer-Led Team Learning (PLTL) activities complementing key STEM courses;
- Competitive funds to support summer research experiences, or micro- or mini-internships, and attendance at scientific meetings.
To be eligible, students must:
- be an admitted first-year student at JCU;
- have a current FAFSA on file with JCU;
- have substantial demonstrated financial need as determined by the FAFSA, with preference given to Pell-eligible students;
- be a U.S. Citizen;
- have a minimum 3.0 overall GPA;
- intend to major in one of the following STEM disciplines: Biology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering Physics, Environmental Science, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology;
- complete the INSPIRED program application.
Eligible students will be able to view and apply for this scholarship in their myJCU Gateway portal. To have priority consideration for this scholarship, complete the application by February 1, 2024. Visit your myJCU Gateway for more details.