Skip to main content

John Carroll will allow an individual to attend or participate in a program of education if the Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 Beneficiary provides the school with a "Certificate of Eligibility (COE)."

There is a common misconception that veterans can only afford to attend state schools or community college because the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® only covers the amount of state school tuition. However, we want you to know that the VA’s Yellow Ribbon program can allow you to attend John Carroll University full time without any out-of-pocket costs for tuition! This is open to undergraduate and graduate students, and your home of record does not need to be Ohio.

If you are eligible for 100% benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, then you are also eligible for Yellow Ribbon and our JCU Patriot Award. Here is what you need to know:

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® currently provides a maximum of $26,042.81 per academic year for fully qualified recipients. Because we participate in the Yellow Ribbon program, the remaining balance of your tuition and fees is covered by the VA and John Carroll’s Patriot Award. The result is $0 out-of-pocket expense for tuition and fees. The Patriot Award is granted each year for as long as you qualify for the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®.

To be eligible for the Patriot Award, the veteran must:

  • Be certified by VA as 100% eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.
  • Meet University admission requirements.
  • Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form.

Click here to find out more about the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® qualifications and rates.

Click here for a quick instruction sheet on How to Apply for your Education Benefits.

If you do not qualify for the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® at 100%, there are several other options to help you finance your education. Some of these options include scholarships and grants from John Carroll, federal financial aid, and scholarships offered through external organizations.

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at”

More information regarding the total cost of attendance can be found here.

Learn the facts about the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill, including eligibility criteria at

The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) currently provides a maximum of $26,042.81 per academic year for fully qualified recipients.

For a full listing of rates for all chapters of GI Bill benefits, see here.

Both veterans and dependents are responsible for abiding by the VA’s policies for the G.I. Bill. Click here to review these policies.

This information was gathered from the website of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Veterans should rely on official VA documentation and policies in determining their individual eligibility for educational benefits.

All GI Bill students, both veterans and transfer of entitlement (TOE) dependents, should be aware of certain key aspects of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) compliance procedures.

The VA imposes extensive reporting and record keeping requirements on institutions of higher learning which accept GI Bill benefits and which participate in VA’s Yellow Ribbon program. Consequently, John Carroll University Certifying Officials are subject to recurring compliance inspections. One aspect of these compliance inspections is to ensure that the U.S. government and taxpayers are not being defrauded in any way. Recipients of GI Bill education benefits are advised that the VA routinely seeks reimbursement from or prosecutes those whom it deems to have committed fraud intentionally; typical examples include receiving benefits when no longer eligible, receiving benefits from more than one VA program, or retaining overpayments for personal use.

John Carroll University GI Bill students are encouraged to contact and communicate with the Certifying Officials in the Student Enrollment and Financial Services Office whenever they have concerns about overpayments, changes in eligibility status, or any other situation with potential compliance issues.

Download this policy.

VA benefits are awarded to students based on full-time enrollment at the University. When a GI Bill student considers adding or dropping courses at the University, it may create an unexpected bill for the student or could result in the VA seeking reimbursement. GI Bill students should consult with their academic advisor as well as someone in the Student Enrollment and Financial Services Offices if they intend to add or drop a class.

Failure to report adding or dropping a class could result in underpayment or overpayment of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits. Additionally, unreported dropping of classes by Chapter 33 students could also cause an unanticipated loss of additional benefits such as housing allowance or book stipend.

Download this policy.

GI Bill students, regardless of which chapter benefits they are employing, must follow this GBSAP Policy. This policy requires that recipients of GI Bill benefits maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average and complete at least 2/3 of all courses attempted per semester.

Exceptions to this policy will be considered on a case-by-case basis in the event of exigent medical or family emergencies. Requests for such an exception should be submitted to the Certifying Officials in the Student Enrollment and Financial Services Office.

Failure to comply with the GBSAP Policy will result in John Carroll University notifying the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) of the lack of satisfactory academic progress, and could result in the VA ceasing payment of benefits.

Additionally, GI Bill recipients must also conform to the University’s standards of academic progress as outlined on the Student Enrollment and Financial Services website. The JCU standards of academic progress dictate the awarding and monitoring of all JCU institutional funds (such as the JCU Patriot Award) and federal and state funds beyond the direct VA benefits.

Download this policy.

It is not uncommon for a student to already be receiving federal, state, or institutional aid at John Carroll University prior to either becoming eligible for or choosing to utilize their GI Bill benefits. Once the eligibility for GI Bill benefits has been determined, a student already in possession of a university aid letter should expect to receive a revised financial aid award. This revision will typically ensure that GI Bill benefits, when combined with organizational funding from the university, does not exceed direct tuition and fees. Eligibility for federal and state funding, including loans, can be used to offset room, board, and other educational expenses.

This revision process will ensure compliance with internal and external policies as well as federal regulations. Potential GI Bill students who are already in receipt of financial aid from the university should consult with the Assistant Vice-President of Enrollment and Student Services to ensure that they have an accurate understanding of how their aid could be revised once they choose to employ GI Bill benefits.

Download this policy.

Through the Yellow Ribbon Program, a college or university can volunteer to participate (at various levels) with the Department of Veterans Affairs in order to provide additional education funding for student veterans. John Carroll has committed to 100% participation in this program so that eligible veterans can achieve a high quality education at a private university with no cost to them.

Details on the Yellow Ribbon Program at John Carroll

  • Because we participate in the Yellow Ribbon program, the VA agrees to match any institutional funding (scholarships/grants) that the veteran receives from their institution. At John Carroll, this takes the form of the Patriot Award.
  • Through this agreement, and fund matching from VA, it is possible for eligible veterans to receive up to 100% coverage of tuition and fees.
  • The Yellow Ribbon Program is available for students at the undergraduate and graduate level.

Education Benefits for National Guardsmen and Reservists (Ch.1606)

If you are a member of the National Guard or Reserves and would like to utilize your Education Benefits, here are the directions to get started using Ch. 1606 benefits.

  1. Request a NOBE (Notice of Benefits Eligibility-DoD form) from your unit administrator.
  2. Once you have your NOBE in hand, log onto eBenefits and apply for your selected education benefits. Click here for step-by-step instructions for eBenefits.
  3. In 8-10 weeks, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. You will need to provide a copy to us.
  4. Once you are registered for classes, you will need to complete the Online Certification Request web-form on our website each semester you want to use benefits. You must also complete a new form every time you adjust your credit load.

Click to see the current rates for Ch. 1606

Veterans are responsible for abiding by the VA’s policies for the G.I. Bill®.

This information was gathered from the website of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Veterans should rely on official VA documentation and policies in determining their individual eligibility for educational benefits.

“I transferred from another local college because the JCU veterans program had my best interests in mind. It was a relief to know I could focus on my studies and future without stressing out about the financial part of school.” – Brenda Clark '16

Bamberger Veteran Assistance: Crisis funding available to military veterans to support tuition and/or living and book expenses. May also be used to support ROTC students, or children of first responders or active military.

Toomey Scholarship: This scholarship is for veterans and ex-military science personnel who do not possess a four-year baccalaureate degree. Candidate must have an honorable discharge or still be serving in good standing.

Vietnam Veterans Scholarship: The Vietnam Veterans Scholarship is awarded to a child or grandchild of a John Carroll alumni who is a Vietnam Veteran.  

The following is a list of veteran and dependent scholarship websites.

As these are external scholarship websites, there are varying requirements and due dates. Please check them individually for details.

Additional scholarships for higher education or professional development: