Skip to main content

Academic Credit for Military Training

John Carroll University accepts many forms of Professional Military Education that have been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) as academic credit, and will typically provide some military transfer credit. This includes military training programs, courses, and schools, including basic training and the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT).

At a minimum, a service member who received an honorable discharge or continues to serve honorably may be granted six credit hours for equivalency credit for Military Science classes: MS 101, 102, 201, and 202 with the approval of the department chair and the dean. These credits may be awarded to any veteran student, even if they are not a participating or contracted ROTC cadet.

Veterans applying for admission must provide a copy of their official ACE transcript if requesting transfer credit for military training. The Director of Veterans Affairs can assist you with obtaining an ACE transcript. Academic credit for military training and education will only be evaluated after these documents have been reviewed. These documents will be reviewed on an individual basis and must receive approval from the Director of Veterans Affairs, who will consult with either the Chair of the University Core Committee or the applicable department chairperson when required. Credit will be considered for transfer to both the core curriculum and the student’s chosen degree program requirements.

All ACE recommendations for lower-level and upper-level credit earned through military training will be evaluated for possible transfer credit. However, vocational or technical credit will not be accepted as transfer credit. The University accepts Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) test scores based on ACE recommendations. For evaluation of DLPT scores, the University will utilize the ACE DLPT Credit by Exam Policy when determining how many credits to award.

As with any transfer and credit evaluation, the determination of credit transferability occurs at the time of admission evaluation and decision, and academic petitions of transfer credit decisions for further consideration must be submitted by the end of the second semester after matriculation.

Military Transcripts and DD214

Use the links below to request your military transcripts and DD214:

For all branches other than the Air Force, you will use the link for the Joint Services Transcript to send us a copy of your military transcripts. This should be mailed directly to John Carroll’s Transfer Admission office. If you need a copy of your DD214, please use the link below. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

What will we do with your military transcripts?

After receiving your military transcripts, we will review the recommendations by the American Council on Education to determine which classes might transfer in for academic credit. At a minimum, you will receive general elective credit for basic training through our department of military science.

Transfer Credits

Transfer Credits from Other Institutions

The determination of transfer credits occurs at the time of admission evaluation and decision. A listing of the applicant’s courses and credits which are transferable to John Carroll University will be sent to the admitted student shortly after the admission decision has been made.

John Carroll welcomes applications from students at community colleges who are looking to transfer to complete their four-year bachelor’s degree. The maximum number of transfer credit is 60 semester hours.

For information about course credits, core requirements, and how credit will transfer from some of our local community colleges, please visit our Transfer Student website.