Skip to main content

Congratulations on your engagement! We are excited that you are considering Saint Francis Chapel for your wedding celebration. We know that you may have questions about scheduling and hosting your wedding at John Carroll. You will find information on this website to help you throughout the planning process.

Saint Francis Chapel is a Roman Catholic chapel at John Carroll University. As a service to the University community and in accordance with diocesan policies, you may celebrate your wedding in the Saint Francis Chapel at John Carroll University only if you are a:

  • Currently enrolled student (part-time or full-time)
  • Alumni
  • Current faculty or staff member
  • Member of the Board of Directors

Weddings held in our chapel involving a Catholic must be in accord with Church regulations. In exceptional situations where neither the bride nor the groom is Catholic, permission to use the chapel for a wedding will be decided by the Director of Campus Ministry.

The chapel is not available for non-religious wedding ceremonies.

How you prepare

  • Download the wedding brochure by clicking here; read it and agree to it in its entirety prior to making your reservation.
  • Make a tentative reservation for your wedding by calling Campus Ministry at 216.397.4717 or emailing campus ministry at
  • Call Facilities Scheduling at 216.397.4316 if you are interested in hosting your reception at John Carroll University.
  • Contact a priest or deacon to have them preside at your wedding.
  • Finalize your reservation by filling out and signing the Reservation form (located in the Wedding brochure), and return to JCU Campus Ministry along with your wedding fee.
  • Begin your marriage preparation at least six months prior to your scheduled wedding date.
  • Make music plans or consult with the John Carroll University Director of Liturgical Music (216.397.4721). Note: You may contract with your own musician/cantor, but for use of the instruments in Saint Francis Chapel we ask that your musician meet with the Director of Liturgical Music.
  • Complete your marriage preparation, attend a pre-Cana day, and submit all necessary documents to the priest, deacon, or lay person preparing you for your wedding.
  • Plan your wedding ceremony with your presiding priest or deacon.
  • Apply for your marriage license.

How we help you

  • We reserve your wedding date and help you collect and process all of the paperwork and permissions that are required for the Diocese of Cleveland.
  • We provide a wedding coordinator who will assist at your rehearsal and wedding liturgy.
  • The JCU Director of Liturgical Music and Musical Arts can aid you in choosing appropriate music. Our Liturgical Music Director can also assist you in choosing a musician and cantor for your service.