Skip to main content

The College Level Examination Placement (CLEP) is designed to assist students who through personal study and effort may have developed the knowledge, understanding, and skills normally associated with certain college-level courses. The amount of credit granted will depend on the tests taken, the scores achieved, the degree program to be pursued, and the major field. Earned CLEP credits do not convert to letter grades and do not apply towards graduation honors. CLEP scores must be submitted at the point of matriculation. Students planning to take CLEP exams should consult the Office of Admission for a list of exams accepted and scores needed for the award of credit.

The University awards transfer credits for various international exams on a case-by-case basis. The most common type is the General Certificate of Education- A-level, but other exams will also be considered. Students who have made an enrollment deposit at John Carroll, and who wish to submit their exam scores for award of credit, should present official documentation of those scores to the Office of the Registrar.