Skip to main content

Classroom Technology
Classrooms are equipped with multimedia technology ranging from basic to theater to public collaboration.

Computer Labs
Computer labs equipped with Windows and Macintosh computers, printers, and other technology are located around campus. Specialized software is installed on lab computers for use in coursework.

Computer Repair
ITS offers repair and replacement services for John Carroll computers. Diagnosis and selective problem resolution is also available for personal computers.

Equipment Recovery Program
The Recovery Program is fashioned for the protection of user privacy and recycling. Please call the Service Desk at 216.397.3005 for more information.

Map a Network Printer
Learn how to map a printer by watching the video below.

Mobility Print

Mobility print is replacing the print release stations we have had in the past. This service allows you to print directly from your device to your desired printer. It is compatible with all major operating systems (Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android) and allows you to print wirelessly to many printers on campus. Click here to learn more.

Multimedia Loans
Center for Digital Media offers a range of loaner audio and visual equipment to John Carroll students, faculty, and staff to checkout through Grasselli Library.

PC Recommendations

Computer Recommendations are a frequently discussed topic for incoming and current students. While there is no 'one case fits all' answer to this question, JCU’s Information Technology Services (ITS) offers you some guidelines to help you with your decision.

Software Site Licensing
JCU ITS manages site licenses for commonly used software programs for math and statistics, science and engineering, bibliography management, security, online surveys, and other areas.

Boler School of Business SB 235: 46 PCs and public laser printing. Open 7 a.m.-midnight.

Dolan Center for Science and Technology E 337: 32 PCs and public laser printing. Open 7 a.m.-10 p.m.

Grasselli Library: 38 PCs and public laser printing. Open when the Library is open.

Lombardo Student Center Lab (Room 40): Eight PCs and public laser printing. Open 7 a.m.- 3 a.m.

Lombardo Student Center Café: Six PCs and public laser printing. Open 7 a.m.-3 a.m.

Graduate Lounge (1st floor Grasselli Library by the snack machines): Two PCs and public laser printing. Open when the Library is open.

Undergraduate Lounge (Adminstration Building across from Einsteins Bagels & Cashier’s Office): Four PCs and public laser printing. Open 7 a.m.-midnight.

Student Printing

At the beginning of each semester, each student is allotted 650 pages of printing through the Papercut system. Every black and white page printed counts as a single page, color pages count as 5 pages each. Once the 650 pages has been expended, the student will not be able to print.

How do I add additional pages so I can print beyond my 650 page allotment? Please call the Service Desk at 216-397-3005 and we will help you increase your print quota.

I clicked the Print Job button and nothing has come out. There are many possible reasons for this to happen. Please call the ITS Service Desk at 216.397.3005 and we will help you determine the cause.

What do I do if my output is damaged/unusable? The public printers on campus are checked multiple times a day to insure proper functioning. However, misprints are possible. Should you receive a print out that is unusable or unacceptable, please contact the ITS Service Desk at 216.397.3005 or go the Service Desk in the Administration Building (AD) 37.

Am I charged for two pages if I print on the front and back of a sheet? (Duplex printing) Yes. You will be charged for two pages if you do duplex printing.

How many pages can I still print? The pop-up window that appears when you click on the print button shows the number of pages remaining on your print quota for the semester.

Help! My professor wants me to print too much. What can I do? If a specific class requires a significant amount of printing, the faculty member can contact the ITS Service Desk to request that their students’ printing allotment be increased. However, it would be good practice to review the need for printing before requesting an increase. Not only is this fiscally responsible, it is a huge help to the environment.

Will I be “charged” for printing if there is no paper in the printer? Yes. You are encouraged to check the printer for paper before you print.

Will I have enough pages allotted to my account to print all that is required by my courses? Again, if a specific class requires a significant amount of printing, the faculty member can contact the ITS Service Desk to request that their students printing allotment be increased.

I need to print many pages for my student organization. Why should I pay for this? Information Technology Services is in discussion with Student Activities to resolve this situation.

Why is the University doing this? There is a growing national trend across institutions of higher learning to conserve scarce resources in an effort to “go green.” Conservation of paper and the power/maintenance costs to support institutional printing is part of that trend. John Carroll University has made a conscious decision to be pro-active on a wide array of conservation efforts across the institution, and wasteful printing was an area that badly needed addressing. Please note that it is not the intention of the University to charge students for legitimate printing that supports student learning. The institution has provided a generous allowance (650 pages per semester, to be revisited and adjusted as needed) for each student, and exceptions can and will be made to support additional printing for legitimate academic purposes or where required by an instructor or coursework. The bottom line is that the student pay-for-print initiative is about preventing and stopping wasteful printing in the labs and common areas by creating a system that will require payment from students who exceed their somewhat generous limitations without a legitimate academic excuse. Please also note that other institutions in the region typically charge students for printing, often at higher rates and with lower allowances than John Carroll University provides to its student body.