Education at John Carroll University
A catalyst for change.
Our grads are well-prepared to teach and inspire students from pre-K to 12 grade—and make a difference in their schools and communities. By combining deep content knowledge and pedagogical skills with expert faculty and valuable in-school experience, JCU ensures that our students graduate ready for their own classrooms.
Through our program, you will master key concepts, skills, and insights, such as:
- An understanding of central concepts, tools of inquiry, competing perspectives, and structure of the disciplines taught.
- The ability to plan instruction based on knowledge of subject matter, students, the community, and curriculum goals.
- Knowledge of how children and youth develop and learn, and differ in their approaches to education.
- A recognition of the value of understanding the interests and cultural heritage of each student.
- Proven ability to create a learning environment that encourages social interaction, active engagement, and self-motivation.
Student teaching will be the capstone of your JCU experience. Working alongside mentor teachers and school administrators will enhance your development, confidence, and abilities. Every JCU teaching degree culminates with an Ohio Initial Teaching License.